AnsweredAssumed Answered

Retrieving data from the web

Question asked by jprince on Jan 10, 2019
Latest reply on Jan 11, 2019 by jprince

Hello brilliant community. I'm trying to take my FileMaking skills to the next level by capturing data from the world wide web, then inputting said data into specific fields in my solution. This is a step I've yet to take, but one which will be a huge advance. My question is pretty simple:

How? What are the steps I need to take to learn these sweet new moves? SQL? HTML? Java? All of the above? None of the above?

Here is some context to ground my query: I'm trying to Go to IMDb.com, Search a movie, Get it's rating, then Go to my Original layout in my solution and Set the correct Field with the Gotten value. There are many more applications for web data retrieval I have in mind, but this one is my first and favorite.

I have a strong suspicion that "ExecuteSQL" and the Web Viewer tool are both in my future. But I don't know to what extent. And I don't want to go down the path of hours and hours of videos and reading without first consulting my betters, here. Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated.

Best

Jackson

Outcomes