AnsweredAssumed Answered

Script to watch for a new record in an ODBC connected table.

Question asked by paulatkins on Jan 11, 2019
Latest reply on Jan 14, 2019 by beverly

I have FMS connected via ODBC to a SQL Database, I'm using it to view an SQL database that runs our POS/Production/Invoicing/Order Management system written by an overseas company. We have about 10 users of the SQL software. We have about 6000 active clients (several hundred orders active on any week) and a complex small manufacturing operation with lots of variable products. The SQL DB software is industry specific, quite functional, but basic and expensive to customise. Many of the customisations I want, I can and have done in my connected FM DB.

I am wanting to take it a step further and use it to trigger pretty looking emails when orders change status, sms notifications for orders, order tracking for service staff, change of order status by production staff, etc.

I can successfully view the SQL data in layouts and portals, but triggering events based on changes to records, or adding of records in ODBC linked tables is something I don't understand. I *believe* that because FM script triggers are based on interaction with FM layouts, and the SQL data is being interacted upon within it's own interface on different machines, I can't use the usual tools and triggers.

Can anyone please guide me? I know my way around FM, but am far from an expert (I know enough to make trouble for myself)  Thank you in anticipation,

Paul

Outcomes