AnsweredAssumed Answered

How can I control record commitment from a window?

Question asked by RichardHurley on Jan 11, 2019
Latest reply on Jan 12, 2019 by RichardHurley

I’m a fan of FMP, but only an occasional user. Rate me an enthusiastic intermediate.

I’m building a custom time billing app for my own use. I want to be able to define task categories and individual tasks to identify what I am working on in an individual time slip. Here’s the task structure:

task_categories 1-99 (= parent)

tasks 1-99 (= child)

Combined, the task category and tasks evaluate to a (long form) like 4.1 – Publicity / Give away free stuff (seen in action below in a sample time slip).

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 9.22.16 AM.png

I want to be able to generate a list of categories and tasks that allows me to see my as much of my task structure as possible and allow myself to create new tasks with an eye on their place in the over-all order. Here is a (rough, functionality-only) draft of one possible approach:

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 9.18.05 AM.png

My task structure is in the layout at left. Hitting the CREATE NEW TASK button (circled in lower left) opens a window (at right), where the user can select a task category and then create a new task and assign it a number.

The basic scheme works, but when I open the window, I create a new record for the user to fill in. In so doing, I appear to generate a task category of null or zero (shown by the X in upper right), which creates a blank value in my sub-summary layout at left (at the X area in the upper left). This makes my task menu jump downward and is distracting to the user. (I may distribute this time biller, so I want to keep the functionality clean and the interface clear.)

This menu-lurch problem would not occur if I could tell my Create New Task window not to commit its record until explicitly ordered (via the blue button in the window at right?), but I cannot find a way of doing so. Ideally, this don’t-commit-until-instructed command would apply locally (I.e., only to records generated by this window).

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

TIA

Richard Hurley

Bear River Books

Outcomes