AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to Calculate a Customer Greeting BEYOND "Mr." or "Mrs."

Question asked by dbogdan1960 on Jan 13, 2019
Latest reply on Jan 13, 2019 by dale_allyn

Is have a database containing a gender field (Gender) which has 4 possible values: "M" (for Male); "F" (for Female); "U" (for Unknown) or "" (Blank - no value entered).

I have another field (Customer Title) that I want to automatically determine the proper greeting to be used in an email or mail merge correspondence based upon the value in the (Gender) field.

For some reason, I can't seem to get things to work beyond

If ( TTFP Customer Database::Gender="M" ; "Mr." ; "Ms." )

I want to be able to determine

if the "Gender" field contains "M" to put in "Mr" in the Customer Title Field OR

if the "Gender" field contains "F" to put in "Mrs." in the Customer Title Field OR

if the "Gender" field contains "U" to put in "Mr. or Mrs." in the Customer Title Field OR

if the "Gender" field is empty "" to automatically put in "Mr. or Mrs."   in the Customer Title Field

This doesn't seem like it should be very complicated - even for a beginner like myself. But I have gone around and around and around both in the Calculation section for the field as well as the Scripting Section, and cannot seem to get around the very basic "Either/Or" setup. Am I missing something fundamentally obvious? I've watched over a dozen YouTube videos that suggest how to do this, but none of them work for me... grrrr!! I know I'm a newbie but… REALLY!?

The attached screen captures show both the fields in question and the only calculation I can get to be inserted in the Customer Greeting. Like I said, I can get to the "Mr." or "Mrs." insertion stage - but not beyond...

Any assistance/guidance would be greatly appreciated...

Daniel

Outcomes