yellowhammer

Normalized Price List?

Discussion created by yellowhammer on Jan 24, 2019
Latest reply on Jan 24, 2019 by Julio Toledo

I have a price list that is a combination of lumber species, thickness and width and each item's price is a function of these three categories. Its layout derives from a spreadsheet based list but now that I'm working in Filemaker, and as I have been told, it is not normalized and isn't user friendly when I try to develop categories for species, thickness and width for our invoicing database.

So if I was to completely restructure the itemized price list table, what would be the optimum or recommended, normalized format? Would it be smaller tables? Multiple tables, etc?

The terms 4/4, 6/4 etc are an industry description of lumber thickness, by 1/4" increments, so 4/4 lumber is really 1" thick and 6/4 lumber is 1.5" thick. The price of a board also increases the wider it gets with three basic categories, narrow <8" wide, regular 8-12 inch wide and wide which is more than 12" wide. All prices are unitized to board feet (bdft) which is a measure of a board's volume, so to actually price a board, the price per bdft is pulled from the table below and then multiplied by the actual volume of a board and that is the final price of the board. So a 1 inch thick, 6 inch wide, 8 foot long board contains 4 board feet (6*1*8/12) of wood and if it was Ash, it would be multiplied by $4 from the table below, so the price of the board is $16.

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 7.52.42 AM.png

Outcomes