AnsweredAssumed Answered

Best way to distribute solution

Question asked by mark_b on Jan 27, 2019
Latest reply on Jan 29, 2019 by JimmyCox

Hi All,

As a retired in-house developer of nearly 25 years I've never run into this problem.  I developed a solution for me at my home (what it does is irrelevant). A company (not the one I retired from) wants to buy my solution so they can sell it to their customers (100's of them).  Originally I thought that they could sell the "run-time" version. But seeing first hand how Windows comes up with updates that screw up existing software and that the "run-time" is, or soon will be deprecated, I was wondering how they should proceed.  There is the FMCloud, but from what I've read, that is "similar" to a server which will host a solution and have a bunch of users access it.  This application will be sold to doctors offices, with HIPAA security requirements needed and having a bunch of distinct clinics sharing the same database would be risky and very difficult to do.  Also, FMGo access is not on the table. Also forcing the clinics to purchase FMPro at $540 on top of the solution cost is out of the question.  The only thing I can think of that is a win-win, doesn't exist and that is for FMI to sell a $50 option to make a PC similar to FMGo - where the user is only able to run the solution and not do any development/modifications.  Filemaker wins by getting revenue and the developer wins because s/he can sell their solutions to customers without bankrupting the customer.  Is there another solution I'm missing?

Cheers,
Mark

Outcomes