AnsweredAssumed Answered

"Either the host is not available..." error on lone PC among Macs

Question asked by davegude on Jan 29, 2019
Latest reply on Jan 30, 2019 by sgljungholm

I manage a small local network (about a dozen machines) consisting of mostly Mac clients with a Mac mini hosting FM Server. We are all in the same building. We have been using FileMaer since 2008, when we had third party help transferring over our old Helix database, which had been in use since the 1990s. I have been solely responsible for this network only since 2016, and I am self-taught, so there is still so much I have to learn!  :-)

The Server and all clients are running FileMaker 17. I have one PC running Windows 10 in our Shipping Dept. (so we can run UPS WorldShip). This PC has successfully been set up and used as a client with the Windows version of FileMaker. However, recently (possibly since I updated it to FileMaker 17? - not quite sure of sequence of events!) it started returning the error message: "Either the host is not available or the file is not available on the host." When I go to Show Hosts, my server and database are not visible. When I try to establish a connection by entering the network file path text string, I get the same error message. I have checked and re-checked that I am typing the correct text string for the network file path, but to no avail.

Everything used to work fine, but not now. How can I get this PC to connect once again to my FileMaker server?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Dave

Outcomes