AnsweredAssumed Answered

Tutorial Request: Not sure how to explain in short

Question asked by SomeFileMakerNoob on Jan 31, 2019
Latest reply on Feb 5, 2019 by beverly

Hello All,

I'm trying to learn FM on my own and have run into a idea for my db that I'm not sure how to search for. I think it would be an inventory type database, but I haven't found anything that would work for what I'm trying to do. Basically, what I'm looking to do is use a set of data that doesn't change for multiple records that can modify that data for their record only. Best example I can think of (probably because I'm hungry) is like a cafeteria line. The line contains a set list of foods (amount or amount left doesn't matter for what I'm trying to do, only the different types) a customer can come along and pick and choose what they want from that list of foods and put that on their tray. That information is saved and can be modified later. Now in terms of what I would like to do for the database, I would like to have the customer record with their information and have a way to maybe display 2 portals. 1 portal is the items they haven't chosen and 1 portal that they have. I would also like to be able to have a check box that moves the items between the portals, so if they decide to use an item it moves it from the "not chosen" portal to the "chosen portal" and vice versa. All of this without changing the original list of foods so it can be used by other customers. Hopefully, this gives a good idea of what I'm trying to do if it's possible in FM.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind reading or watching tutorial videos if you just want to put links for things that will help. I'm just not fluent enough in FM yet to know how to search for what I'm trying to do.

Thanks in advance!

SomeFMNoob

Outcomes