AnsweredAssumed Answered

Can I link 3 tables in a portal and get one to auto-populate based on the other two?

Question asked by davesp on Feb 4, 2019

Evening all,

FM & DB newbie here. I’d really appreciate some help in putting together a database for my small business. I’m trying out FM to see if I can create something that will allow us to efficiently manage customer assets. I’ve done some research on databases; however, I just can’t be sure if I’m heading in the right direction.

My goal: I want a portal that allows me to add assets, assign tasks and generate service visits. I imagine it will be three tables on one screen. The workflow is:

1. I add the asset.
  2. I select a task to link to the asset from a drop down in the task table. (Each task can be carried out on many assets, each asset can have many tasks).
  3. The visits auto-populate in the third table. The auto-populated visits will be incremental by date based on the frequency field of the task, say for the next 5 years.
  4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 as required as an asset can have many tasks assigned to it.

My database design is as follows:

Screenshot 2019-02-04 at 21.15.37.png

I’d really appreciate some advice as to whether what I want it achievable, if I’m heading in the right direction (is my DB design feasible? Am I missing a better way?) and some pointers to any specific resources that might help me develop this in FM.

Thanks,

Dave

Outcomes