richardsrussell

How To Update Summary Field AND Go to Next Field

Discussion created by richardsrussell on Feb 16, 2019
Latest reply on Feb 22, 2019 by richardsrussell

My naborhood association is getting set to hold its annual meeting, at which we will elect 4 board members for the next 2 years. I'm ginning up a database to make it easy to tabulate the election results. Each household at the meeting is entitled to 1 ballot on which they can vote for up to 4 people. My database to record the results has this interface:

Ballot.jpeg

The "Vote" field is of type Number, formatted with value list One (= 1), shown as a checkbox. So all I have to do to display the vote totals for any candidate is set up a Summary field that calculates the total for the "Vote" box on that line; just such a Summary field is what shows up under "Total" on each line.

So here's my dilemma. Every time I check a box (which can be done either with the mouse or by hitting "return") I want to do 2 things: (1) update the total vote for that line and (2) jump to the next line's checkbox. But I can only do one or the other, not both. If I set up a script trigger on the "Vote" box that, OnObjectModify, commits the record, the vote total gets updated, but the program loses track of which line it was on and can't jump to the next one. Conversely, if I set up the script trigger to "Go to Next Field", it does that but leaves the "Total" field blank on the line it just departed from.

Is there some way I can get it to do both?

Outcomes