9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2011 6:14 AM by LSNOVER

Let's get the ball rolling

DarrenTerry

This is a test discussion added on the web to the Advanced Discussion forum. I'm just testing things out here.

This line of text is important.

This line of text is REALLY important.

This line of text, not so much.

OK, let's see what happens here.

• 1. Re: Let's get the ball rolling
          ibrahim_bittar

Hi Darren, just sending a test reply .

Seems to be working...

• 3. Re: Let's get the ball rolling
            DarrenTerry

OK, replying via email, while quoting just part of the email that you're replying to, does not work still.  My previous reply is completely blank.  Here's the text that I replied with:

On Oct 18, 2011, at 10:16 AM, ibrahim_bittar wrote:

Hi Darren, just sending a test reply :^0 .

Well, here's testing an email reply to Ibrahim's reply.  This one is generated as plain text in Mail.app (not the web interface), as a reply, selecting just Ibrahim's text. 

I noticed that I did not receive my own email that started this discussion.  Ibrahim, would you be so kind as to forward the email that the system sent you, to me?  In particular, I'm wondering if my signature was added to the text of my web post somehow.

regards,

Darren

Darren Terry

Pacific Data Management, Inc.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Phone: (408) 283-5900 x303

darren_terry@pdm-inc.com

http://www.pdm-inc.com/

• 4. Re: Let's get the ball rolling
              DarrenTerry

I will say that the email I got from the system is much nicer now than in the first round of the beta program.  A lot of the issues are fixed with the email formatting, especially the small box that the content was delivered in.  It's still in a box in the email, but the box is now bound to the edges of the email window, and resizes with the window (as expected), rather than leaving a lot of white space.  This is a good improvement.

It would still be better, however, if I could select just part of a reply and send it, like I'm used to.

This reply was added on the web, not email.  I'm going to test an unedited email reply next.

• 5. Re: Let's get the ball rolling
                ibrahim_bittar

Hi Darren

This reply is sent via email.

Saludos

Ibrahim Bittar Torres

Director General

Eikonsys, S.A. de C.V.

FileMaker 10 Certified Developer

http://www.eikonsys.com

FileMaker Business Alliance

• 6. Re: Let's get the ball rolling
                  DarrenTerry

I notice a few bad things about the emails still, however.  First, the email appears to be coming from technet@filemaker.com, not the actual sender.  The reply-to is different, which is how Jive appears to be capturing the threading (which is fine).  But I usually do a Reply All, so I can CC the person that originally sent the email.  The new Dev Community site is stripping the original sender's email address and substituting "technet@filemaker.com" in its place, which is a bad thing. 

I'll report that as a bug.

This reply is generated via Mail.app, and I didn't select part of Ibrahim's reply first.  I'm just replying to the whole thing, so I can see how it works.  This is a rich text email..

• 7. Re: Let's get the ball rolling
                    DarrenTerry

This is a resend of the reply I just sent.  I noticed that Jive stripped out the email I was replying to, and everything that came after it, including my signature.  So I'm resending my reply, this time putting my signature before the quoted content.  Let's see if my sig makes it through this time.

I notice a few bad things about the emails still, however.  First, the email appears to be coming from technet@filemaker.com, not the actual sender.  The reply-to is different, which is how Jive appears to be capturing the threading (which is fine).  But I usually do a Reply All, so I can CC the person that originally sent the email.  The new Dev Community site is stripping the original sender's email address and substituting "technet@filemaker.com" in its place, which is a bad thing. 

I'll report that as a bug.

This reply is generated via Mail.app, and I didn't select part of Ibrahim's reply first.  I'm just replying to the whole thing, so I can see how it works.  This is a rich text email..

regards,

Darren

Darren Terry

Pacific Data Management, Inc.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Phone: (408) 283-5900 x303

darren_terry@pdm-inc.com

http://www.pdm-inc.com/

• 8. Re: Let's get the ball rolling
                      LyndsayHowarth

Hi Terry & co

Just testing my own reply.. from Mail.app