1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 3, 2011 7:57 AM by sporobolus

How to start a new Discussion by Email?

It didn't work for me. Neither it appears anywhere nor I get a bounce.

Winfried

This is what I sent to technet@filemaker.com:

Subject: Just to find out what my current user name is (on technet@filemaker.com)

I would be very sorry not to know who asks a question or provides a response.

I think we're a global community that knows each other well.

Anonymous questions I would rather not like to answer - if at all.

Winfried

Huslik Verlag GmbH - Kopernikusstr. 67, 86179 Augsburg, Germany

CEO Winfried Huslik - HRB Augsburg 12386 - VAT-Id. DE127485099

Phone +49 821 565606, Fax +49 821 565001, Email info@fmdiff.com

Verify your FileMaker Pro files with FMDiff - http://www.fmdiff.com

• 1. Re: How to start a new Discussion by Email?
          sporobolus

on 2011-11-03 01:34 info@huslik.com wrote

It didn't work for me. Neither it appears anywhere nor I get a bounce.

to start a new discussion by email, you go to the web page for a specific

discussion area, e.g.:

<https://fmdev.filemaker.com/community/discuss/advanced?view=discussions>

for Advanced Discussions; then click Actions > Create by email; then click

"Start a discussion now"; this is a mailto: link, which on most systems will

start a new message in your email client addressed to the specific discussion

area, e.g.:

<mailto:discussions-community-discuss-advanced@fmdev.filemaker.com>

those using webmail will be better served by using the vCard feature instead of

"Start a discussion now"; in any case it might help to add the specific

discussion address to their contact list and to give it a nickname because the

addresses aren't autocomplete-friendly — they all start with

"discussions-community-discuss" ...

note that some people are in the habit of replying to another message on the

list, then changing the Subject header, to start a new discussion; this is not

a good practice anyway because of threading, but on this new system every

message has a unique reply-to such as

"fmi-1533415058-1n9-2-1buj@fmdev.filemaker.com", and using reply to start a new

topic will not work; it will the message to the discussion to which they

replied, and their Subject text will be replaced with the subject of that

discussion