1 2 3 Previous Next 33 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2011 3:59 PM by LyndsayHowarth

Developer Community: Site or Communication?

Why do I get just some but not all posts by email?

As you see from the enclosed screen shots the web shows more than the mailbox. Is there a rhyme or reason?

And to those who argue I would not need a copy of my own posts in the mail: you are wrong!

Relying on a copy in the own sent box would require to be tied to just ONE machine.

I for example answer some of my mails after breakfast at home, more at the office, and quite a few "after hours" at home again.

Of course my own sent mails would be spread over a number of places or even mobile devices. NO FUN!

If you ask: why don't you send a bcc to yourself? Speak after me: "It is NOT the same!" You cannot be sure it even arrived at the forum and in what order or what it really looks like.

And take a second look at the two screen shots with respect to the screen estate they occupy: While the web interface is bloated with stuff I really don't need at the moment, what a clean list the mail client provides instead.

Then navigate from post to post on the web and compare this to the email. Think of how much time you waste using the web.

And finally the mail body: pompous and vacuous. A simple 4-line message needs almost 6 inches in height. What may be OK for a one time message, you really don't want to get beaten by a hundred times a day.

Pupils given the task to draw a picture. those who had no idea how started out with a frame. So beware of frames!

• 1. Re: Developer Community: Site or Communication?
          DrewTenenholz

Winfried --

I'm not sure what's going on here myself, but it seems that I stopped receiving ALL messages yesterday.  I'm now going through the website (from which this is posted), and it seems that you have to laboriously go through each and every topic in the 'discussion forums' for both TechNet and FBA Talk and flag each one to recevive email notfications...what a waste of time.

-- Drew

P.S.  I should get a copy of this in my email.....

• 2. Re: Developer Community: Site or Communication?
            BruceRobertson

Yes, I mentioned the wasted screen real estate during the beta period. I am getting no list traffic at all now by email. Contrary to expectations, it seems we have to go on line and view or respond to individual messages; and only then, for that topic, will I see the email. This isn't working for me.

• 3. Re: Developer Community: Site or Communication?
              sporobolus

on 2011-11-09 14:15 BruceRobertson wrote

Yes, I mentioned the wasted screen real estate during the beta period. I am getting no list traffic at all now by email. Contrary to expectations, it seems we have to go on line and view or respond to individual messages; and only then, for that topic, will I see the email. This isn't working for me.

you'll need to subscribe to each "space" to get the emails; see my "missing

manual" on email usage here:

<https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/62458#62458

• 4. Re: Developer Community: Site or Communication?
                psijmons

I am with Winfried here, just a daily summary of all emails from one space would be useful, using as little visual noise as possible.

Besides this, I do like the improvement of the whole community webspace, well done, nice clean interface. But in emails I prefer to have them as condensed as possible.

• 5. Re: Developer Community: Site or Communication?

I agree as well. The dark blue bar with the FM Dev Community Logo isn't needed. I also wish the 'created by' line was below the message with the 'Reply to' and 'Start a new discussion' links.

I've attached an image to show how this looks and also to see if attachments work.   Notice in the list on the left the repeated 'created by...'. It would be much better to see the message first for browsing.

• 6. Re: Developer Community: Site or Communication?
                    datastride

+1 …

And remove the extra line breaks that just stretch out the message vertically.

Peace, love & brown rice,

Morgan Jones

FileMaker + Web:  Design, Develop & Deploy

Certifications: FileMaker 9, 10 & 11

<http://www.onepartharmony.com/> One Part Harmony 

Austin, Texas • USA

512-422-0611

• 8. Re: Developer Community: Site or Communication?
                      BeatriceBeaubien

Hi all,

To reiterate the most obvious problems (not to be a whiner, but in the spirit of constructive criticism):

1) The extra line breaks are a bad interface addition. They're not necessary and they add too much overhead to reading the posts.

2) Why the dark and light gray formatting? The branding and formatting boxes don't do anything for our user experience, they bloat each message and detract from scanning the many posts we read every day. It was novel during the beta testing, but now the system is live we will be reading hopefully many posts each day, it's just irritating and adds too much size. (I have ~10,000 messages in my old TechNet mailbox. If those 10,000 messages were in the the new format they would add ~2 KB of storage per message on my hard drive with the formatting.)

3) I know FMI is working on this, but to reinforce one more time: we need our posts we send via email to come back to us via email (á la Winfried and others). It's not cosmetic. it's important.

Thanks so much for your help in this, FMI.

Best wishes,

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

i2eye, Toronto, Canada

FileMaker Business Alliance

FileMaker 11 Certified Developer

P.S. The extra line feeds are only visible in emails.

• 9. Re: Developer Community: Site or Communication?
                        DelfinaDaves

Hi Beatrice:

We did make a bunch of incremental changes based on the first round of beta testing. Sounds like we didn't quite go far enough? We're happy to re-visit the email template.

Thanks for the feedback.

• 10. Re: Developer Community: Site or Communication?
                          beverly

How the carriage return and linefeed are being handled in the email client? I know that web interfaces will often add *both* characters as "return" when adding "HTML" email. Can it be just the LF?

• 11. Re: Developer Community: Site or Communication?
                            mardikennedy

Unblessed by your tact, I'll be a teensy bit tougher!

Beta testing:  given the degree of annoyance and sheer inefficiency that the email/ digest muck up is causing, perhaps the plan for the beta testing could be released as a case study on how not to design a process, intended to reveal shortcomings and other problems.  (The basis for an impression of "inefficiency"?  I've just read through all posts for the last few days and noticed that there are many more unanswered/ unacknowledged posts than usual.)

Primary school/ patronising stuff:  ie, my way of referring to the FB-like 'features' - well, it's a bit of a no brainer that they don't delight me.  eg 'following', 'liking' etc  This is TechNet, not a pop mag for 14 year old girls who want to be fans of this, idolise that.  Truly, that stuff is daggy.

And I've made another discovery - an habitual Command S in this case Sends rather than Saves.  Oh well.

• 12. Re: Developer Community: Site or Communication?
                              BeatriceBeaubien

Hi Delfina,

I'm late in responding to these posts, as I didn't get your reply as an email (not sure why). From an email update this evening from TechNet Admin (Dave?), we have a better idea of where each issue is in the queue to be addressed, and that is helpful. I'd like to suggest that we also be able to send a personal message back to someone who posts, whether we are responding in the web interface or via email, by a simple right-click-and-select. (That was the idea behind my observation a couple of days ago when I couldn't just back channel a short message to Ibrahim.) We wouldn't necessarily have to see the address.

All the best,

Beatrice

• 13. Re: Developer Community: Site or Communication?
                                mardikennedy

Another thought:  given the features of the new interface, specifically the Recents Posts listing that's prominently on the 'main'/ dashboard screen - perhaps the subfolders on the left have had their day?

If we went back to just one, that would solve the annoyances that some experience with having to subscribe to each.  Also, my recollection is that they were only imposed upon the community ?less than three years ago?, to try to make WebCrossing 'work better'.

Do we have any ardent fans of the subfolders?

Regards,

Mardi Kennedy

• 14. Re: Developer Community: Site or Communication?
                                  hschlossberg

In another thread somewhere around here (FileMaker Technical Network > Developer Forum > The New Community Site - Give Us Your Feedback > Usage Questions > Discussions > Where to activate forum via newsgroup or email), I advocate just that approach Mardi: What is wrong with just one folder?!?!?

What's interesting to me, Mardi, is that if I recall correctly, you and I used to be part of a true community back in the day of FSA Tech Talk.  I'm not sure I've seen you around much since then, but I find it interesting that we're all here again giving this another try...and still finding once again that it just doesn't fit our needs.

I and many others here still reminisce about the old FSATT, back BEFORE Webcrossing.  It was simple to use, had only one address to remember and one list to check, and it had the highest participation of top-level developers of any public or semi-public forum FMI has ever sponsored.  For busy business people, simplicity is the key. 

(In my mind, the ONLY downside to FSATT was that its archives weren't easily searchable, but that shouldn't be all that difficult to fix.)

Regards...

Howard Schlossberg

1 2 3 Previous Next