MattLeach

Specifying Print Options in Script

Discussion created by MattLeach on Nov 9, 2011
Latest reply on Feb 26, 2013 by Gingernut

I'm coming across an issue when specifying print options on a script.

A little information about our setup: We are all Windows based, running FileMaker Pro Advanced v11 with databases hosted on FileMaker Server Advanced v11.

We have several reports and informational sheets that need to be printed from the database. On the script for each of these items, i have the 'Specify Print Options' box checked so that i can script whether a group of records need to be printed, or just the current record.

The issues becomes that with this option selected, FileMaker will no longer utilize the default windows printer on the users local machine. Instead, it will use the printer specified when the script was setup.

I contacted FileMaker and they confirmed this is the case and that there was no way to specify what to print (i.e. current record or records being browsed) without also specifying a printer. They went on to explain that FileMaker will look for the printer specified on the users local machine, and if it can't find it, it should then default to their defauls windows printer.

So i went ahead and created a printer on my machine named "FileMaker Dummy Printer" and specified it in all of my scripts. After it was in the scripts, i deleted it from my machine, attempted a print job and it now defaults to my default printer. Great! But then another issue arises.

When another user on another machine attempts the same print job (utilizing the same script), it defaults to my default printer, not theirs???

Is there any way to have FileMaker ALWAYS utilize the default windows printer on the local machine, yet still give me the ability to specify whether to print for current record or records being browsed???

Also -- FileMaker seems to have it's own idea of what your default printer is.

For example: Lets say my default printer is printer1. I run my script, printer1 is the selected printer, all good and well. Now, if i change my default printer in windows to printer2, run the same script, printer1 is still the default.

I exit out of FileMaker completely and come back in, still printer1.

I've rebooted my machine, back into the database, still printer1.

I went ahead and setup a closing script to Flush Cache to disk. Still printer1. IT seems that somewhere FileMaker remembers your original default printer. Would this have something to do with FileMaker Server possibly caching the printer?

Outcomes