6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2011 9:18 AM by Stephen Huston

iPhone 4S mirror display

CarlSchwarz

I remember a while ago talk on here about how hard it was to do a presentation with an iPhone due to the fact that you couldn't just mirror the display.

I've just found out that the iPhone 4S does do full display mirroring so that even the homepages. etc will mirror and display.

• 1. Re: iPhone 4S mirror display

Wow! Great news for a lot of folks with the new iPhone 4s.

If you own one, how does one goes about doing it? If you don't, and a link to this news exists on the net, could you post it please? Thanks.

As I understand it, AirPlay (not mirroring) is possible with the iPhone 4, but only throught AirPlay via Apple TV only.)

http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/airplay.html

With the right adaptor(s) the iPhone 4 currently support transfer of certain video formats at various resolution, frame rates, ect. but say nothing of "mirroring". I never tested it myself but here are some specs:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-4/specs.html for the iPhone 4. (NOT iPhone 4s)

As for iPad 2, mirroring is already possible as well as video transfer through adaptors:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/ for the iPad2.

Best regards,

Mario

Message was edited by: helios_one (Mario Marceau)

• 2. Re: iPhone 4S mirror display
            CarlSchwarz

Well, a friend told me it could be done.  So I went looking on the web and found this link:

http://forums.ilounge.com/iphone/272009-iphone-4s-mirroring-would-like-use-my-led-projector.html

So it isn't official Apple news.  I don't have a 4S yet, though some should be coming here soon.

So I can't 100% confirm it, just heresay from 2 sources.  I'm hoping it will work, I regularly "work around" the issue of not being able to present iPhone stuff.

• 3. Re: iPhone 4S mirror display
              Stephen Huston

I found that it depends on what you are hoping to mirror -- which app is in use, and what the external display is.

I tried to set up a PDF presentation using GoodReader on iOS5 with iPhone 4S. GoodReader used to work on my iPad for mirroring. This time, it worked AT FIRST, then, without any change in the connections, when I went back to the first screen of the presentation, my iPhone 4S displayed something like:

Unsupported external device...

and it quit working! How did it decide the screen was unsupported after it had been working just fin on that screen with untouched connections for about 4 minutes before throwing that error?

I have become a belt-and-suspenders guy (and bring a rope in case the belt gives way) for presentations. As much as I like that my various iDevices may work with a projector, I now bring a known laptop to the venue as well, just in case. I don't ever want to have to do another presentation to a dozen people with them all hunched around an iPad because the projector suddenly became an unsupported external device part way through my talk.

• 4. Re: iPhone 4S mirror display

Stephen Huston wrote:

I have become a belt-and-suspenders guy (and bring a rope in case the belt gives way) for presentations. As much as I like that my various iDevices may work with a projector, I now bring a known laptop to the venue as well, just in case. I don't ever want to have to do another presentation to a dozen people with them all hunched around an iPad because the projector suddenly became an unsupported external device part way through my talk.

I bet that in the very near future, issues with mirroring will go away as it did for laptops. (I remember that not so far back, laptops were being a little quirky with multimedia projectors at times too!)

So I would say that since mirroring technololgy is fairly new, your prudent approach is very good advice!

Regards,

Mario

• 5. Re: iPhone 4S mirror display
                  CarlSchwarz

Thanks for the info - I'll avoid this one.  Also reading that Airprint isn't working for some with the iPhone 4S

StephenHuston wrote:

I found that it depends on what you are hoping to mirror -- which app is in use, and what the external display is.

I tried to set up a PDF presentation using GoodReader on iOS5 with iPhone 4S. GoodReader used to work on my iPad for mirroring. This time, it worked AT FIRST, then, without any change in the connections, when I went back to the first screen of the presentation, my iPhone 4S displayed something like:

Unsupported external device...

and it quit working! How did it decide the screen was unsupported after it had been working just fin on that screen with untouched connections for about 4 minutes before throwing that error?

• 6. Re: iPhone 4S mirror display
                    Stephen Huston

I have avoided AirPrint, but installed and used "Print to PDF" on my iPad to allow PDF output from most printable apps.

I expected it to work on my iPhone4S, but nope, it doesn't.

Anyone know of a PDF creator that works in place of print on iPhone4S ?