1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 12, 2011 4:24 PM by Fellow_of_the_Craft

Changes to SQL Schema Do Not Update in FM Table Occurance?

Fellow_of_the_Craft

Hello.

I am running:

FileMaker Server 10.0.2.206

Windows Server 2003

Microsoft SQL Server 2005

I have an ODBC data source as a table occurrence in my relationship diagram. I can read and write data from FileMaker to the table occurrence. No problem.

Here is the issue:

When I add a column to my SQL table and re-open the relationship diagram, the new column does not appear in the table occurrence.

Deletion of the table occurrence and adding a new one will not reflect the change.

Only after deleting the actual DATA SOURCE via the manage data sources dialogue and creating a new ODBC data source from scratch, will the change be reflected in the table occurrence.

Naturally, this is NOT the desired method because removing the table occurrence will break everything dependent on it.

My question is:

Is there a way to change the schema of the SQL data source and have the changes update in the table occurrence WITHOUT having to remove the data source and adding it in again?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

-adam

• 1. Re: Changes to SQL Schema Do Not Update in FM Table Occurance?
          Fellow_of_the_Craft

Ho Ho Ho...

I answered my own question.  In case anyone has the same issue:

This is found on page 19 of the ESS tech brief found at:

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/documentation/techbrief_intro_ess.pdf

Manage the Field Structure of the New Table

When you first add a table from an ODBC-based data source to your schema,

FileMaker Pro creates a shadow table in the local file. The shadow table contains

field definitions for all of the fields in the remote SQL table. It is not possible to

change the definitions of these fields. It is possible to delete fields from the shadow

table. This has no effect on the SQL database itself. It only affects the fields that

are fetched and displayed in FileMaker Pro. Deleting from the shadow table any

fields you are not interested in is an effective way to limit the amount of data you

need to fetch from the SQL source.

If you need to restore deleted shadow fields, or

otherwise re-synchronize the structure of the shadow table in FileMaker Pro with the

structure of the SQL table on the server, press the Sync button near the top of this

screen.

Hope this helps.