4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2011 1:29 PM by disabled_JohnWolff

Filtering List Views for Printing

Jason_Farnsworth

I am trying to set up a printout that shows all my line of an Order. How ever when I create the List View I get all Lineitems for all Orders. I know the has to be a simple stupid fix.

Thanks again in Advance,

Jason

• 1. Re: Filtering List Views for Printing

Hi Jason,

Your Print Layout has to work from a Found Set of Line Items that belong to a single parent entity. Use that LineItem Table Occurrence as the base TO for your Print Layout as that detail will be in the Body part. The Header (and Footer if necessary) is where you place fields, or merge fields, for whatever related Parent information is deemed approriate.

I've assumed, perhaps wrongly, that these Line Items are the components of the Master Product that your Engineer is designing, not the price quotes that your Purchasing person is obtaining. For that you'd apply a similar approach but base your Print Layout on the Quotations TO and drawing component, and perhaps Master Product, details as related fields into the Header.

Combining those two different sets of Line Items into a single Printed report might be possible but I'd not recommend you attempt that until you have become comfortable with creating the two separate reports. They are likely wasteful of paper but desirable for mastering this aspect of your developer skill set.

If it's the line Items for a Purchase Order, then you'd presumably be working from the TO of Quotations, selecting those that have been deemed acceptable, pertain to a single Supplier and probably further constained by the components that belong to a single Master Product. 

I see I have responded to you question in a back to front manner so I hope it will still make some sense?

Cheers,

John

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Filtering List Views for Printing
            RayCologon

Hi Jason,

Just to add to the info John has provided, assuming your Line Items are related to an Order, a common method to isolate them on a list based on the LineItems table is to find the relevant order, then use a button or script to call the Go to Related Record[ ]  command configured as follows:

Go to Related Record [Show only related records; From table: "LineItems"; Using Layout: "OrderPrintList" ]

When you specify the relationship from Orders to Line Items, choose the list layout that you want to print from, and enable the checkbox labelled "Show only related records" (ie configured as per the pic below), FileMaker will automatically display a found set of the Line Items for the Order you start from, in the selected layout.

GTRR.png

If you're using a script to do this, you can have it go to the related records using the above command, print the order, then return to the original layout, by using three steps:

Go to Related Record [Show only related records; From table: "LineItems"; Using Layout: "OrderPrintList" ]

Print [Restore: ; No dialog]

Go to Layout [original layout]

I guess you may also need a Print Setup[ ] command before the print command, depending on whether there are multiple printers involved.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Filtering List Views for Printing
              Jason_Farnsworth

I think this is one of those times that I cant see the forest though all the trees!

Here is a copy of the relationship group that I am trying organize

Rel Chart.png

Here is a copy of the cude Data Entry for the Line items That Engineering would create

Eng Creation.png

And Then Purchasing come in an add the following Data

Purchasing Adds.png

Do I Have the relationships propery organized to store the data correctly?

And is this the best way to go about it?

I work at a company that is 65 Years that Manufactures Heat Exchangers. IT a small Company but its insane at how much hand written paperwork they use. Between that and improper excel doc they do a pretty good job of making a profit. But I am not from the hand written generation and choose to think differently in that regard. So my Goal here is to get this Data Base working to a point they see a real value in it and head off for some proper and indepth training.

I choose Filemaker as the platform because I had a Developer create a database for me at my last gig. It seems to bridge the gap between a small and limited Access Database to the hope I never need Orcal. It a happy medium well suit for the small to medium size business.

I really want to tell you guys thanks for limping me through this project. It is my desire to become an advanced lvl developer over the next couple of years.

Anyways,

Best regards, and many thanks

Jason Farnsworth

Midland, TX

• 4. Re: Filtering List Views for Printing

Hi Jason,

Thank you clarifying some detail of your Company and its historical workflows. You have certainly made the right choice of a DBMS to convert from Spreadsheets to a more rigourous methodology.

At risk of confusing you further . . . here's a screen shot of an ERD that I'd expect to be at the core of your relationship graph. It is hard for me to tell which of these entities match yours but I'm guessing that everything we've discussed hitherto in this thread could be managed from this arrangement.

Screen shot 2011-11-14 at 10.01.06 AM.png

What FM does allow you to do, however, is add a new TO group to the RG that will serve a particular purpose. Sometimes that will be helpful, but only so long as you take great care to keep track of which layouts are linked to each TO.

You may find it helpful to download the FTS 11 document from the resources area and review the module on Data Modeling.

I've no doubt that Ray Cologon will contribute a wiser perspective!! He is, afterall, the author of a white paper that explores the RG in its entireity -- providing us with options that few of us ever contemplate, let alone utilise.

Cheers,

John