1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2011 8:20 PM by Jason_Farnsworth

Creating Multiple Pages of a Report

Jason_Farnsworth

I am looking to see how a script would be written for this senerio.

This photo show the area of disscusion.

11-14-2011 5-54-41 PM.png

I am trying to create a quote inquiry form that I send to all the vendors listed. Its basiclly just a printed report the tricky thing is the report is by line item but there is as many as 5 vendors that can get a inquiry for each line item.

Thanks again,

Jason,

Midland, TX

• 1. Re: Creating Multiple Pages of a Report
          ErikWegweiser

Greetings again, Jason:

I found and responded to this post after responding to your other question today. The answer to this should be easier once you actually have that join table permitting each inquiry line item to have multiple vendors. The 'magic' solution is then to produce your report from the persepctive of the join table. All join table records of one inquiry that are attached to the same vendor would be isolated and printed on a separate bid reports for each vendor.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Creating Multiple Pages of a Report
            Jason_Farnsworth

Erik,

Thanks looking at it for me,

Currently the table look like this,

11-18-2011 6-23-14 PM.png

Do I need a seperate TO all together or add it to one of these?

Jason

• 3. Re: Creating Multiple Pages of a Report
              ErikWegweiser

Jason— My mantra: "always anchor-buoy, no matter the simplicity or complexity of the database." So what I'm saying is, for every base table, there should be a table occurrence group in your relationship graph. You've got two groups illustrated here; one from the perspective of the Green Sheet (inquiry?) and one from that of the Line Items. To answer your question: When you add a new base table, it becomes the hub of a new table occurrence group AND you add an occurrence of the same base table wherever it is required as part of the other groups.

• 4. Re: Creating Multiple Pages of a Report
                Jason_Farnsworth

Erik,

Ok I have the Portal Linked up Properly and it is allowing several Vendor per Line Item,

11-18-2011 8-38-33 PM.png

Ok, So the 99 is the LineItem and The 106,105etc is the BidREQID #

So Now I need to change out the line Item Showing in the Portal to get the One Vendored up

I am guess to use a Script, is so can you help me with the proper one?

Thanks, Again

Jason

• 5. Re: Creating Multiple Pages of a Report
                  RayCologon

Jason_Farnsworth wrote:

So Now I need to change out the line Item Showing in the Portal to get the One Vendored up...

Hi Jason,

I think it might help if you would try to explain in greater detail what you mean by "get the One Vendored up".

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 6. Re: Creating Multiple Pages of a Report
                    Jason_Farnsworth

Hey Ray,

Ok well Vendered Up horrible slang, sorry

Currently it is only showing the first line_item in the portal above to add vendors to. What I need to due is push a line item down to the other portal to add a Vendor to it or add multiple Vendors to it as well.

Thanks,

Jason

• 7. Re: Creating Multiple Pages of a Report
                      Jason_Farnsworth

I have started with this script,

11-19-2011 5-03-06 AM.png

It seems to be working but it keeps asking me if I want to save the record? Is that code for " I have a questionable link somewhere"

Jason

• 8. Re: Creating Multiple Pages of a Report
                        RayCologon

Jason_Farnsworth wrote:

I have started with this script,

11-19-2011 5-03-06 AM.png

Hi Jason,

There is nothing at all in the script you posted that would cause FileMaker to prompt you to save the record, but you haven't shown us what is in the "Force Refresh" script, so perhaps the issue is there.

Notwithstanding that, have you considered enabling the "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship" checkbox for the relationship to the TO that the portal is based on? It's a setting you'll find in the lower corners of the Edit Relationship dialog that comes up when you double click the link between the TO your layout is based on and the TO your portal is based on in the Relationships Graph. You need to enable the checkbox underneath the side of the Edit Relationship dialog that represents the Portal TO:

AllowCreate.png

Doing that will provide a blank row at the bottom of the portal into which you can directly enter additional rows (ie entering data in the last row will cause a new portal row to be created automatically)/

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Creating Multiple Pages of a Report
                          Jason_Farnsworth

Ray,

What are the causes of Filemaker asking, "Do you want to save the Record" after you modify it? It is asking me that in my Product Form View. I just have this a a single TO in my Relationship ship. Now I do have in in there in other places as apart of other TO, such as the Inquiry chain. I seem to get this message in only come parts of the DB.

The Force Refresh script on says goto preview mode then back to browse mode.

I am also struggling with what should be a simple task but when I do it the Current Table of the Layout in greyed out when I try and create a portal on the Layout using the information from that Layouts Table.

11-19-2011 5-57-29 AM.png

This layout is  the Customer Layout Using the Customer Table. I am trying to add a list of all Customers in the left side Portal. When I go to get the link the portal up the Customer Table is greyed out not letting me choose it, but only the related tables.

Is there another way to go about this? Seems strange to not be able to access the Layouts own TO.

Again, Thanks

Jason

• 10. Re: Creating Multiple Pages of a Report
                            RayCologon

Jason_Farnsworth wrote:

What are the causes of Filemaker asking, "Do you want to save the Record" after you modify it? It is asking me that in my Product Form View.

If you have a layout set up with the "Save record changes automatically" option disabled, FileMaker will post a prompt to save the record when anything happens that would cause the record to be committed, including changing mode, navigating to a different record or layout, closing the window, clicking out of record etc etc.

Jason_Farnsworth wrote:

The Force Refresh script on says goto preview mode then back to browse mode.

Leaving Browse mode to go to Preview mode would cause a commit.

Jason_Farnsworth wrote:

I am also struggling with what should be a simple task but when I do it the Current Table of the Layout in greyed out when I try and create a portal on the Layout using the information from that Layouts Table.

This layout is the Customer Layout Using the Customer Table. I am trying to add a list of all Customers in the left side Portal. When I go to get the link the portal up the Customer Table is greyed out not letting me choose it, but only the related tables.

Portals are designed to show related records, so you have to choose a related table occurrence, not the current table occurrence.

Jason_Farnsworth wrote:

Is there another way to go about this? Seems strange to not be able to access the Layouts own TO.

Yes. In order to show a portal of Customer records on a layout based on the Customer table occurrence, you will need to set up a self-join relationhship - that is, you will need to add another TO of the Customer table to the Graph (eg called "CustomerList" and connect it to your existing Customers TO. If you want all customers to show in the portal, you should define the relationship between the Customer and CustomerList TOs as a cartesian product ("X") join.

Once you've got the relationship set up appropriately, you'll be able to base your portal on the CustomerList TO and it will show all customer records.

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

• 11. Re: Creating Multiple Pages of a Report
                              Jason_Farnsworth

Ray,

1: Thanks for the Layout Setup tip that was issue.

2: I earlier tried to create a TO of the same table and even called it Customer list, If I am understand you right I think my error was in linking the kp to the kp. I should have linked the Customers Name rather? I will try linking the Customer names.

3: I have a bit of a problem still with my vendor Portal. I was scrolling through the records looking at the data and noticed than rather than use the same vendor several time it is creating a new vendor in the vendor table for each occurance on the portal. So I quickly ended up with a bunch of vendors that are the same. Rather than the desired linking the vendor to the lineitem.

Currenty I am using a value list of all the vendors based on the main Vendor Table. Which is intresting do the value lists automaticly filter duplicates? When I click the field to add a vendor it only show one of each. I do have the option checked allow record creation in the link between the TO's. When I uncheck it it will now let me use the drop down list.

Thanks again,

Jason

• 12. Re: Creating Multiple Pages of a Report
                                RayCologon

Jason_Farnsworth wrote:

2: I earlier tried to create a TO of the same table and even called it Customer list, If I am understand you right I think my error was in linking the kp to the kp. I should have linked the Customers Name rather? I will try linking the Customer names.

If you want all customers to display in the portal, then you should use a cartesian operator (the "X") to define the relationship predicate, as I noted previously. When you use the X join operator, it doesn't matter what the key fields are (regardless, all records will be returned).

Jason_Farnsworth wrote:

3: I have a bit of a problem still with my vendor Portal. I was scrolling through the records looking at the data and noticed than rather than use the same vendor several time it is creating a new vendor in the vendor table for each occurance on the portal. So I quickly ended up with a bunch of vendors that are the same. Rather than the desired linking the vendor to the lineitem.

It sounds as though you are joined directly to the Vendor table, rather than through a join table. The idea of a join table (which the portal would be based on) is that when you create a new connection, it adds a join record in the intermediary table without adding records in either of the tables being joined.

Jason_Farnsworth wrote:

Currenty I am using a value list of all the vendors based on the main Vendor Table. Which is intresting do the value lists automaticly filter duplicates? When I click the field to add a vendor it only show one of each. I do have the option checked allow record creation in the link between the TO's. When I uncheck it it will now let me use the drop down list.

Yes, value lists that are based on the contents of a field are based on the field's value index and display a single instance of each unique value.

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

• 13. Re: Creating Multiple Pages of a Report
                                  Jason_Farnsworth

Ray,

Ok,

Got the X in the Relationship link and it is work beatiful! Thanks

I guess I am still not getting my head around the "Join Table" Concept. Here is a look at the Relationship Chart.

11-19-2011 9-33-05 AM.png

So the portal is based on the Greensheet group that is also green GreenSheet_GSLineItems_BIDREQ

I have vendors linked on the other end of the BIDREQ portal.

The Blue Group is just lineitem linkage

And the Purple is just BidREQ Linkage

If they are not linked to the Greensheet TO I will not be able to modifiy them on the Greensheet Layout. Should I be using a layout based on the BIDREQ (purple group)?

Thanks,

Jason

• 14. Re: Creating Multiple Pages of a Report
                                    RayCologon

Jason_Farnsworth wrote:

So the portal is based on the Greensheet group that is also green GreenSheet_GSLineItems_BIDREQ

Hi Jason,

Based on what can be seen in the Graph image you posted, GreenSheet_GSLineItems_BIDREQ looks like a join table - that is it sits in the middle between GreenSheet_GSLINEITEMS and GreenSheet_GSLineItems_Bidreq_VENDOR.

If it's set up correctly, GreenSheet_GSLineItems_BIDREQ should be based on its own separate table - a join table, and with the portal based on it, when you add a record to the portal, a new record should be created in the join table.

Because you said you were getting extra Vendor record created each time you add a line to the portal, that suggests that GreenSheet_GSLineItems_BIDREQ may be based on the Vendor table instead of its own separate table. However we can't tell whether that's the case from the image you posted.

Incidentally, it appears you currently have two TOs named GreenSheet_List (one with a underscore and the other with a space). I assume the one with the space in its name is redundant and should be removed to avoid confusion?

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

1 2 Previous Next