2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2011 7:09 AM by StephenWonfor

Capture of summary field data

StephenWonfor

Hi

I have a report that I need to run that goes like this...

Find Uninvoiced Orders that are due for production current month and then push summarized salesperson totals somewhere.

Do same for next month.

Do same for next, next month.

Do same for orders "on hold" (due dec 25)

Find invoiced orders current month.

"Somewhere" has been text files dumped into the Temporary directory - I export Salesperson, Month and the sorted Summary field of their order total values.

Then I reimport them into a reporting table where I can show a grid by Salesperson with global lables etc.

It works but I rather a pita to tweak. Thus my question is "Could I have been somewhat brighter in my approach?" Writing the summaries into variables is appealing but, as of yet, beyond me.

Stephen

---

"Approximately impossible..." --- LHC Physicist Guido Altarelli

• 1. Re: Capture of summary field data
          RayCologon

StephenWonfor wrote:

It works but I rather a pita to tweak.  Thus my question is "Could I have been somewhat brighter in my approach?"  Writing the summaries into variables is appealing but, as of yet, beyond me.

Hi Stephen,

Being FIleMaker, you know, there are any number of alternatives...

For sure, some of them would involve passing values via variables (or global fields, or any other array handler) and retrieving them later to populate your report.

Another, entirely different approach, would be to use what I would call a process model, where you dispense entirely with sub-summaries and instead aggregate each group set using aggregate funcitons (calcs) after isolating each in turn through a ultility relationship, and writing them out as you go (directly intp the report lines) via a second utility relationship. FWIW, I gave a demo of a report created in this way during one of my sessions in San Diego this year.

There are a few other ways to tackle it as well. Which brings us to the thorny question of which is best for your particular/current requirement. It sounds like the method you've devised is working, and it's just the pain of tweaking it that has you debating alternatives.

Whichever way you approach it is going to require some exacting code - but maybe exacting in slightly different ways. I guess that, all things being equal, you might find that you gain and lose in roughly equal shares with regard to tweak pains - so it's probably better to look to functionality, performance, extensibility etc as the criteria for your choice of approach.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------

• 2. Re: Capture of summary field data
            StephenWonfor

Ray

Thanks for the feedback.  I will take a look at the Aggregate calc's as a means to populate my reporting fields.

Stephen