8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2011 1:59 AM by capers123

Can't see file whilst sharing

capers123

This is my first experience of FMP, having developed in Paradox & PWin since, oh, many years ago. All was going so well until today - I've built a nice little database that's working sweetly on one PC.

I'm running a full version of FMP Advanced 11 on Windows 7, and have set 'Network Sharing' to On in FMNetwork settings, allowing All users to access the current file. The file is open on that PC.

I've then installed the 30 day trial version of FMP 11 onto a couple of PC's - Win XP & Win 7. I go to Open Remote, View Local Hosts which shows the hosting PC complete with IP address. But when I click on the Host Name, no available files appear. I can access the file through sharing on the same PC (ie open a second instance of it).

Do I need to change firewall settings on any / all PC's, or is there another explanation? Maybe the 30 day trial is limited or won't work with a full version? I do intend to buy a couple of full versions (using the spiffing offer on at the moment), but no point unless I can get the network working...

Thanks

Mark

• 1. Re: Can't see file whilst sharing
          Filesmith

Hi sorry to ask the obvious (but it is sometime easy to miss), but on the host computer in the FileMaker Network Settings, is the "Don't display in Open Remote File dialog" checked (as it may be by default)?

• 2. Re: Can't see file whilst sharing
            capers123

Thanks for replying.  I should have mentioned it in my summary - the answer is it's not checked.  I did just go and make doubly sure, though.

• 3. Re: Can't see file whilst sharing
              Filesmith

I know what you need to check (I think)! In File > Manage Security, edit the Privilege Set(s) for the user(s) you want to connect and be sure that under "Extended Privileges" the checkbox for "Access via FileMaker Network ..." is checked. That should do it.

• 4. Re: Can't see file whilst sharing
                capers123

Sadly that was also already set for all the users. 

I've tried recreating the problem at home.  Sure enough, it happens here as well - until I disabled the firewalls on both computers. I'll try it in the office tomorrow to see if that sorts the problem, but am obviously rather reluctant to turn off the firewalls where there's real, live data around.  

• 5. Re: Can't see file whilst sharing
                  techt

Have you checked the port list for server? Maybe you can add a port to the firewall rather than having to turn everything off.

• 6. Re: Can't see file whilst sharing
                    DrewTenenholz

Capers --

FileMaker 11 uses the Bonjour protocol as well as it's own sharing port (5003) to allow FileMaker Hosts to advertise their existence and available files.  Your PC fire wall is likely automatically set to block port 5353 (UDP).  If possible, take a look at the fire wall log for blocked traffic on both ports.

-- Drew Tenenholz

>Sadly that was also already set for all the users.

>I've tried recreating the problem at home.  Sure enough, it happens here as well - until I disabled the firewalls on both computers. I'll try it in the office tomorrow to see if that sorts the problem, but am

• 7. Re: Can't see file whilst sharing
                      Stephen Huston

Is the checkbox to show or hide the file in Open Remote also properly set?

> I'm running a full version of FMP Advanced 11 on Windows 7,

> and have set 'Network Sharing' to On in FMNetwork settings,

> allowing All users to access the current file.  The file is open on that PC.

If you have all the file network settings correct and the Security permission groups with [fmapp] enabled, it's most likely a port issue.

I haven't fiddled with recent versions of FMPro or Adv on Peer-to-peer. I use the testing license for FMServer, which should be more reliable for testing on a local network.

• 8. Re: Can't see file whilst sharing
                        capers123

OK, it would appear that at work 1) McAfee had stopped working on my PC, so I reinstalled that, then 2) made sure that I added ports 5003, 16000 & 16001, and allowed both Bonjour & FileMaker full rights within the McAfee firewall. 

Both other PC's can see mine, so problem solved.

Now to go one step further & install the development version of FM Server...

Thanks for all the help & suggestions.  It's nice to have an active & knowledgable developer community to turn to.