3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2011 10:10 AM by PointInSpace

Aqua Connect set up?

BruceHerbach

I have a client who is planning on setting up FMS, FileMaker Pro ( for staff) and Aqua Connect to provide terminal services for the staff. Iniitial use will be 5 users, but expect this to grow to around 20 in the first year of use. Usage should level off at that point.

When I say 20 users, this means there will be 20 users hitting FileMaker server. Most will be through an Aqua Connect terminal session and FileMaker Pro. Some may be through WIFi/Lan using FM Go or a desktop over Lan or WiFi using FileMaker Pro.

The configuration we are looking at is a Mac Pro running Lion Server with FMS and Aqua Connect on the same box. Does this seem like a viable setup? We have not selected number of processors, amount of memory or disk configuration yet.

I know the FMS documentation says to run the FMS on it's own box. I was able to get a trial of Aqua connect and installed it on my Mac Mini server. This box has a copy of the development version of FMS advanced 11. I set up a copy of FileMaker Advanced on the box and connect to it using Microsofts Remote Desktop Connection and did some tests. I found that having that the Mac Mini seemed to run a process that creates a number of records and then updates additional records based on the values of the new records between 1 and 2 seconds faster then when running the same process on my MacBook Pro over a Gigbit Lan connection. The Mac Mini is a 2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 Gbyte of Ram and MacBook Pro is a faster box with a 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 8 Gbytes of ram. I beileve that the slower server completes the process faster since the network connection is really the local loop back. I was very care full to make sure that the database was opened through the server and not as a local file.

So in short, does putting both terminal services and FileMaker server on the same box seem like a reasonable setup?

Thanks very much.

Bruce Herbach

• 1. Re: Aqua Connect set up?
          BruceHerbach

If anyone is using Aqua Connect,  I am looking for recommendations on setup for the best performance for the client.  Recommendations on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bruce Herbach

• 2. Re: Aqua Connect set up?
            CarstenLevin

Aqua Connect is a very interesting technical solution. But I am not confident that I can recommend actually using it.

One issue may be performance, but even more important is the way it is being used by the client. As it is now Windows Remote Desktop and some not to good VLC client seems to be the only option. And althoug the connection is Mac-Mac this is causing a lot of keyboard mapping problems and other details not working.

How about printing, accessing local ressources etc. Has this been solved?

We did some efficient testing 3-4 months ago and our conclusion was that the setup, the software it selv, was OK. But the handling of the actual users was not good enough.

Best regards

Carsten

• 3. Re: Aqua Connect set up?
              PointInSpace

Aqua Connect is a very interesting technical solution. But I am not

confident that I can recommend actually using it.

One issue may be performance, but even more important is the way it is

being used by the client. As it is now Windows Remote Desktop and some

not to good VLC client seems to be the only option. And althoug the

connection is Mac-Mac this is causing a lot of keyboard mapping problems

and other details not working.

How about printing, accessing local ressources etc. Has this been solved?

Best regards

>

Carsten

Along the same vein, has anyone tried iRapp Server?

- John

--