BruceHerbach

Aqua Connect set up?

Discussion created by BruceHerbach on Nov 17, 2011
Latest reply on Nov 29, 2011 by PointInSpace

I have a client who is planning on setting up FMS, FileMaker Pro ( for staff) and Aqua Connect to provide terminal services for the staff. Iniitial use will be 5 users, but expect this to grow to around 20 in the first year of use. Usage should level off at that point.

When I say 20 users, this means there will be 20 users hitting FileMaker server. Most will be through an Aqua Connect terminal session and FileMaker Pro. Some may be through WIFi/Lan using FM Go or a desktop over Lan or WiFi using FileMaker Pro.

The configuration we are looking at is a Mac Pro running Lion Server with FMS and Aqua Connect on the same box. Does this seem like a viable setup? We have not selected number of processors, amount of memory or disk configuration yet.

I know the FMS documentation says to run the FMS on it's own box. I was able to get a trial of Aqua connect and installed it on my Mac Mini server. This box has a copy of the development version of FMS advanced 11. I set up a copy of FileMaker Advanced on the box and connect to it using Microsofts Remote Desktop Connection and did some tests. I found that having that the Mac Mini seemed to run a process that creates a number of records and then updates additional records based on the values of the new records between 1 and 2 seconds faster then when running the same process on my MacBook Pro over a Gigbit Lan connection. The Mac Mini is a 2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 Gbyte of Ram and MacBook Pro is a faster box with a 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 8 Gbytes of ram. I beileve that the slower server completes the process faster since the network connection is really the local loop back. I was very care full to make sure that the database was opened through the server and not as a local file.

So in short, does putting both terminal services and FileMaker server on the same box seem like a reasonable setup?

Thanks very much.

Bruce Herbach

Outcomes