8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2011 4:01 PM by fcpsesol

Error 1506

fcpsesol

Our FileMaker server is behind a firewall and running FMS 11 on a Windows 2003 server. We are a large company, so we had to get the server added to the whitelist to be able to send emails. Two weeks ago, I set-up a script step to send an email via SMTP when a record is created. All of the settings worked and now all of a sudden they don't. On the email notifications tab in general settings (for configuring the server) there is an option to send a test message. That is successful:

test_email.png

But when I duplicate those settings in a script step

script.png

I get Error 1506 [Email(s) could not be sent successfully]. I've downloaded and run Savvy Data's Interrogation file (http://www.savvydata.com/blog/2009/11/fixing-smtp-send-mail-error-1506/) and it reports the same SMTP settings that I am already using. I've tried some of the alternate settings, but when I try to send a test message there are other errors. So what are other reasons for the 1506 error message? What am I missing?

Thanks,

Jen

• 1. Re: Error 1506
          pthomas

Hi Jen,

Are you running the script on the same server that you sent the test e-mail from? Or is the script running on a workstation?

If everything was working fine and then suddenly stopped working I would find out if your IT department has changed their SMTP security settings. It could be that the server has been specifically allowed to send via the SMTP server but other machines on the network are now being blocked?

Cheers,

Paul.

• 2. Re: Error 1506
            fcpsesol

Hi Paul,

I hope I can answer your questions correctly

The database that I am trying to run the script on, lives on the server where I sent the test e-mail from.  But FileMaker Pro is not installed "on" the server (only FMS 11 is installed on the server).  So I'm running it from a computer that has FMPA 11 installed and I'm opening the file remotely.  The computer is Windows 7 Enterprise (32 bit) and the version of FileMaker is v11.01.  It is the same computer and software versions that I used 2 weeks ago.

I've been in touch with our IT dept. and they said nothing has changed on their end.  But if there are any specific questions I should ask, I'm all ears

Thanks!

Jen

• 3. Re: Error 1506
              pthomas

Hi Jen,

I am actually in the process of trying to get this error sorted out with my IT department as well.

Not sure if it is the case with you, but I found that I was able to successfully send a test e-mail via a script to an internal e-mail address (my company e-mail address for example), but I was getting the 1506 error whenever I tried to send to an external e-mail address (my personal e-mail address).

I am still waiting to hear back from my IT department, but I suspect that the issue is due to them having mail relay disabled in the exchange server, and they need to add some exceptions to allow me to get this working!

One other thing to try would be to set up a schedule on the FileMaker server to run the script that sends the test e-mail and see if that works or not.

Cheers,

Paul.

• 4. Re: Error 1506
                fcpsesol

Hi Paul,

When I originally set this up (and it worked) 2 weeks ago, I was able to send email from just about any email address in our system.  We have some public folders set-up as mailboxes and I was able to send mail from them as well as any email address in active directory.

I'm interested in hearing what your IT department has to say and what exceptions they make.  I'd love to see if we need to make the same exceptions.  I will defintely set-up a script on the server to send a test email and see what happens.

Jen

• 5. Re: Error 1506
                  fcpsesol

Updated information:

I am able to schedule a script that sends a basic message via SMTP from the server.  But when I try to run the same script via FMP I get error 1506.

Anyone out there with any idea why that would happen?  I've double checked with our IT department and our servers are in the relay list.

Thanks,

Jen

• 6. Re: Error 1506
                    pthomas

Are your workstations also on the relay list?

I believe that it will be the workstation that is running FileMaker Pro that is actually doing the sending and needs to be on the relay list not the server.

Cheers,

Paul.

• 7. Re: Error 1506
                      pthomas

Just as a follow up to this, our IT department finally got around to adding the workstation I need to send the e-mails from to the relay list and I am now able to send via SMTP from that workstation.

Curiously even though the e-mails do get sent out, I still get the 1506 error which is really strange!

Have you had any luck finding a solution to your problem Jen?

• 8. Re: Error 1506
                        fcpsesol

Hi Paul,

Apparently our SMTP relay got corrupted.  But it seems to be working fine now.  I have an appointment with one of our mail guys in January in case it stops working again.

It was very weird though...

Jen