1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2012 9:09 AM by randalj1958

Quick thought about buttons

KylePutzier

The first thing many of my scripts do is to check if the user is in Find mode.

Buttons should have the option "Enable in: Browse / Find (similar to script triggers).

Kyle

• 1. Re: Quick thought about buttons
          RayCologon

Hi Kyle,

Not a bad suggestion. Have you thought about posting it at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 2. Re: Quick thought about buttons
            KylePutzier

Done.

Kyle

• 3. Re: Quick thought about buttons
              ErikWegweiser

Hi, Kyle:

In lieu of a feature that either disables or completely removes buttons from the layout in find mode, I use a mode test in the button's script, of course. It either exits immediately or alerts the user that they are not in browse mode first. In conjunction with that, I use the same mode test for the button's tooltip (if any) and custom formatting to grey-out the button and/or its text. [Yeah, I wish there was a transparent custom format 'color' choice].

There are additional techniques to remove the button from view altogether, not just grey it out. One way is to use a graphic container field as the button.

Erik Wegweiser

Intelligent Database

Boston, MA

http://intelligentdb.com

• 4. Re: Quick thought about buttons
                RayCologon

ErikWegweiser wrote:

There are additional techniques to remove the button from view altogether, not just grey it out. One way is to use a graphic container field as the button.

Hi Eric,

What I find problematic about that and various other related tricks to obscure buttons in Find mode is that even though the button isn't visible, the mouse pointer still turns into a hand when over it (if that feature is enabled) and a stray click "where the button was" will still cause the area (eg the background, in the shape and size of the button) to shade. Also, if the button has a tooltip, you have to remember to also test for mode in the expression that produces the tip text...

Even "portal invisibility" -  which can't be controlled in Find mode anyway - doesn't deal with the mouse pointer problem, though it does remove click shade and tooltip "phantoms". Not that I'd particularly advocate its use, for other reasons.

As things stand, I think you're right that conditional formatting is one of the better options, but it would be good to have a more complete solution!

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 5. Re: Quick thought about buttons
                  DavidJondreau

I use named "hidden" tabs and OnModeEntry triggers.

A two panel control with one tab named tab.Browse and the other tab.Find. The tab panel has no line pattern and is the same color as the background. You can make the tabs themselves 0 width or hide them behind another single tab panel.

OnModeEntry checks the mode and goes to the appropriate tab. My script actually accounts for 3 separate tab panels with this configuration ( for Header, Body, and Footer, tab.Browse2, tab.Browse3, etc).

It's very portable.

• 6. Re: Quick thought about buttons
                    jormond

I typically create a separate layout for searches and finds.  Kind of like an 'Advanced Search' feature to compliment the use of a single search field ( typically using either the quick find or FMSearch Results ).

It's a little bit more work at first, but seems to fit what users are already accustomed to.  Plus I have a default search layout that I use to copy into new solutions...just change the field links for the 'Advanced Search' and the colors to match the solution.  The script is fairly general and relies on the fields set to enable Quick Find.  And then hijack the normal process for entering Find Mode and deliver the user to the 'Advanced Search' layout.  At times, I have also used tab panels to avoid additional layouts...depends on the solution and the deployment.

• 7. Re: Quick thought about buttons
                      ErikWegweiser

Absolutely, Ray. I was just mentioning a few quick-and-simple methods (the portal invisibility technique being slightly more involved), using the features available. Though the presence of a button may still be detectable by the user, at least it is clearer that the button is disabled.

• 8. Re: Quick thought about buttons
                        VinceDolan

Folks

I will second the motion about creating a seprate layout for finds. I have found over the years that people often think they are still in browse mode and try to enter data, if you don't change the look of the screen. This also helps move people away from searching unstrored calcs and such. With the addition of Quickfind (As well as FMSearch Results - a more robust option), the separate layout method really makes even more since, especially for advanced searches. Also having a different layout allows you to either Hide or Show he Status Area, without causing the interface to change unexpectedly.

Vince Dolan

• 9. Re: Quick thought about buttons
                          randalj1958

I have recently Developed & sold a Database for a Client that wasn't accustomed to using Databases that contains seperate Tabs that can be switched from a "Browse View" to a "Data Entry View".  This seems to help keep them from accidentally changing Feild Data.  Has anyone done this as well?

• 10. Re: Quick thought about buttons
                            JeffPenner

Hey Randal, that sounds like a great idea. I have a client who's horrified by how easy it is to edit data. I haven't tried this but could one script the change in tab focus to generate an "are you sure" message or require a password?

Jeff Penner

Jeff Penner

• 11. Re: Quick thought about buttons
                              DavidJondreau

I do it all the time. See my post earlier in the thread.

• 12. Re: Quick thought about buttons
                                randalj1958

Hey Jeff, Nice to meet you!  I'm a Developer in Little Rock, AR & my Client is located in MO. It is an RV Park Resort & the Users are elderly Ladies (that I have grown to love).  I originally gave them a basic "Customers" Database Module to start entering Data into & was horrified to discover that they were just changing Data over & over, thinking that they were creating different Records each time they clicked into a Field & changed the Data.

Now, they are acutely aware that they are changing Data.

About your question, I use "invisible" tabs that toggle back & fourth via a small button in the upper right corner.  The "Browse View" as I call it, looks fairly simple, however the "Data Entry View" has yellow-colored Fields & had a very noticible "DATA ENTRY" header at the top.  Absolutely you could write a Script to do those things!  :-)

Randal Johnson

Randal@JohnsonProgramming.net

• 13. Re: Quick thought about buttons
                                  randalj1958

David, Yes, your Post is the reason I mentioned using seperate Tabs for Browsing Records & Data Entry.  I have even experimented with Custom Menus that show a "Data Entry" mode, as well as Browse, Find, Preview, etc.

• 14. Re: Quick thought about buttons
                                    randalj1958

Hey Guys,  I routinely set my Databases up to NOT show the Status Bar becauses it requires so much "real estate".  Do you guys allow the Status Bar to be seen in your Solutions?

1 2 Previous Next