4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2011 6:52 PM by mikied82

Display different location Fields

mikied82

Hello everyone, I am learning FMP 10 and I am having a bit of a problem. We have been given pre printed letter size order forms that we just need to fill in. Since we have been busy, I was thinking maybe FMP can help us.

Here is my setup:

(Layout 1) Request: Data input with the material needed. Such as Qty, size, color, PO #, department requesting.

(Layout 2) Overlay Print: Data with the desire information for printing over the pre made sheets with fill ins and check marks.

Pre-Printed sheets is a 8.5x11 sheet with the top half being for office and bottom to warehouse.

(Layout 3) Summary: This prints a summary with some information including PO #, items and description for Purchase Requisition.

So I want to enter:

10 (# of Boxes) (Field 1)

X (Pens) (Field 2) Check mark Pens

Pencils (Field 3) Leave blank

Office Department (Top Fields)

Warehouse Department (Bottom Fields)

So if I fill in the Office Fields (Which are on left of the page on Layout 1) then the # of boxes will go on top for Layout 2, if the left fields which is for the office are empty then put it on the bottom of layout 2.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Display different location Fields
          RayCologon

mikied82 wrote:

So if I fill in the Office Fields (Which are on left of the page on Layout 1) then the # of boxes will go on top for Layout 2, if the left fields which is for the office are empty then put it on the bottom of layout 2.

Hi mikied82,

If I understand you correctly, you would like to have some information printed in a different part of the page depending on whther the office information has been entered in your first layout.

There are a number of different ways you might do that, but one of the easiest would be to place two sets of the fields on Layout two, one at the top and the other at the bottom. Then, for the calculations to go on the top, set conditional formatting to set their text color to white (or to whatever color the background is...), with the formula:

IsEmpty(YourTable::YourOfficeField)

Then, for the copies of the field on the lower part of Layout 2, set conditional formatting - also to turn the text color white - with the formula specified as:

not IsEmpty(YourTable::YourOfficeField)

That way, one set of fields will show and the other will be hidden depending on whether there is a value in the relevant "YourTable::YourOfficeField" field.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 2. Re: Display different location Fields
            mikied82

Yes ray, have it printed on different parts of the page.

I tried it but have no luck. I have uploaded a part of the page.

Thank you

• 3. Re: Display different location Fields
              RayCologon

Hi mikied82,

I have to say that there may be some better ways to structure a file to achieve what you require.

I'm attaching two modified versions of your file. The first simply applies the conditional formatting technique I described above, in place of your calculation that wasn't working - but is otherwise similar to your file.

The second file addresses the first of several data design issues, by providing only one set of order fields and a location field to determine whether the order is office or warehouse. The conditional formatting on the overlay layout then takes care of displaying the data in the appropriate place.

In fact it would be preferable for a variety of reasons to go further and place the items being ordered into a separate table, rather than providing a separate field for each type of item. In part, that's because if you persist with your current approach, you'll have to change the basic structure (eg add new fields) any time there is an additional item (paper clips anyone?) to be ordered. I haven't created a demo of that, as it is well beyond the scope of the question you asked, but it is something you might like to consider.

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 4. Re: Display different location Fields
                mikied82

Thank you Ray, that is what I needed. Seems I was not putting the calculation in the correct location.