3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2011 1:34 AM by RayCologon

How to extract OLE object (file) in a container field automatically

cop

Export from a container field is not possible,I try copy OLE object (file) to Clipboard,but find no way to paste automatically to ("C:/OLE") for example.

• 1. Re: How to extract OLE object (file) in a container field automatically
          RayCologon

Hi cop,

You can't include a container field in exports to formats that don't support container data (which obviously includes text-based and interchange formats) but you can include them if you're exporting to FileMaker format.

Also, you can export the contents of individual container fields unsing teh Export Field Contents[ ] command - so you can export the containers from a whole set of records (eg to a designated folder on your hard drive) by creating a simple looping script that works its way through the found set exporting each container in turn.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 2. Re: How to extract OLE object (file) in a container field automatically
            cop

Thank you Ray,

I cannot find "Export Field Contents[ ]" command in my "Filemaker Pro 5.0v3",

and I've search the command in the community,"store only a reference" might be help....

• 3. Re: How to extract OLE object (file) in a container field automatically
              RayCologon

cop wrote:

Thank you Ray,

I cannot find "Export Field Contents[ ]" command in my "Filemaker Pro 5.0v3",

and I've search the command in the community,"store only a reference" might be help....

Hi cop,

My apologies - since you didn't say otherwise, I made the mistake of assuming you were working with a current or recent version of FileMaker - but you're right, the Export Field Contents [ ] command didn't make it's appearance until March 2004 with the release of FileMaker 7.

If you need to extract container field contents as a one-off exercise (eg to subsequently store them as a reference) you could consider exporting from a copy of the file converted to .fp7 format, then using the resulting image files with your earlier verison. If you don't have a more recent copy of FileMaker on hand, you could use the 30-day free trial to accomplish this task.

Meanwhile, you might like to consider upgrading. A lot of new and interesting stuff has become available over the last six or seven versions!

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

1 of 1 people found this helpful