3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2011 10:37 AM by MattLeach

Save As PDF - Printable Area

MattLeach

I've come across a strange behavior with the "save as PDF" script step.

Some prelimiary information: We're running FileMaker Pro Advanced v11 on Windows 7 Pro 32 and 64 bit machines. Database hosted with FMSA 11. All machines have adobe reader x installed v 10.1.1.

I have a layout setup as a 1 page ship slip with client information on it. My script is as follows:

script.png

When i run the script and Adobe opens, the printable area does not include the whole page, the below image is what shows up in the page thumbnails:

adobe.png

If i were to print the document, only what is in the box will print. If i drag the box to include the whole doucment, it prints with no issue. What's interesting to note is if this were a multi-page document, all other pages would be fine but the first page will do the same thing.

My troubleshooting so far:

Reinstallation of Adobe Acrobat Reader

Played with numerous default settings in adobe, none of which made a difference.

Attempted previous version of adobe reader, none of which i could get installed on Win 7.

I can open anything else in Adobe Reader and dont have the issue, only with FileMaker generated PDFs.

Anyone else having a similar issue. Is this an issue in Adobe, FileMaker, both?

• 1. Re: Save As PDF - Printable Area
          Stephen Huston

There is a piece missing from your script: Page Setup/Print Setup

You need to test your layout with various Print/Page setup settings to find one where the entire area of the layout you want to print is included, then script that Page/Print Setup into the routine so the PDF is output/printed at that setting.

A very rough guess from what you showed is to start with a setting in 65% reduction range then fine tune it from there.

Save as PDF does not adjust layout content for you any more than regular Print commands in a script. You must take charge of that yourself.

• 2. Re: Save As PDF - Printable Area
            MattLeach

I wouldnt have thought to use Print Setup if i werent actually printing the document.

I added the step, setup the page in Portrait Mode, set it to standard 8.5" x 11" and there appears to be no change. I don't see any other settings that will allow me to change the page to fit into the printable area.

I just find it odd that it's always the first page only

• 3. Re: Save As PDF - Printable Area
              MattLeach

Looks like i've gotten it set correctly.

I didn't read all of the dialogues and found the options button on the specify options checkbox. On the Initial view tab i set the magnification to 75% and that appears to encompass the whole document.