AnsweredAssumed Answered

Utility Needed

Question asked by AllegroDataSolutions on Nov 23, 2011
Latest reply on Nov 28, 2011 by AllegroDataSolutions

I have a client (a very well known photographer) whom I have developed a lot of solutions for in the past. We are discussing putting his considerable body of films, images, interviews and press clippings on a web based server, so that they can be called up in a web viewer control in his FileMaker databases. Nearly all this material has been cataloged. But it is currently all stored in different local or network drives or removable media. Consolidating this collection makes sense to both of us. The client likes the idea of having everything in one place, under his own domain name. He would like to tap into some of the images for his web site. And he especially likes the idea of a database where the media files don't have to live in container fields (because some of them are very large). But he is daunted by the prospect of having to enter tens of thousands of URLs into his database.

I have had other clients in a similar situation, at least one of whom used a utility that basically just searched a folder and cataloged the all the files and subfolder names below it, so that he could just import them into his database. I think there was more than one utility that did this kind of thing, but I don't remember their names. I am sure that one of them was a Mac application (and that is what the client in question would need). It may even have been part of another application suite. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Thanks.

Outcomes