7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2011 12:33 PM by joannetbell

FM Go and CNS Barcode

joannetbell

I am new to FM Go Development. I am using CNS Barcode to create barcodes in a FM Pro 11. These labels with the barcodes will be attached to furniture. This furniture needs to be tracked througout the plant. We will have several stations where the furniture will be scanned with an Iphone, CNS Barcode and FMGo. I need to pass the barcode that is scanned and a unique phone ID or some other way to know what station we are scanning the item from. Is there a script step I can use to find out what my phone ID is so that I will know phone 1, is in location 1, etc... If this does not seem like a logical thing to do, I am open for better suggestions. Again, this is my first attempt at doing this.

Thanks in Advance for any assistance.

• 1. Re: FM Go and CNS Barcode
          Bobster

Hi, er, Joan (?)

"…the furniture will be scanned with an Iphone, CNS Barcode and FMGo."

Don't forget that, at this stage of its development, FMGo does not support the use of plug-ins.

Using Get ( SystemNICAddress ) within your script will give you an ID that you can use to identify the iOS device in question.

But that won't help you when it comes to:

"so that I will know phone 1, is in location 1, etc…"

You will only know that for sure if the phone is tethered to the location.

HTH,

Bob.

Bob Stuart

Lord Of The Files

Think Data Pty Ltd

Noosa

Queensland

Australia.

+61 7 5442 5624

+61 413 350 993

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FM Go and CNS Barcode
            brandon

Maybe I'm missing something, but assuming each station is tied into a central database, couldn't you just use the Creation Name and Modification Name fields within your database to track that? Assuming each iphone has a unique name (settings -> general -> about -> name), each device that creates or modifies a record could be noted along with date and time (if those fields are added also).

Similar to the sample database included with FM Go, I put these fields in an inventory database I made (see attached - bottom fields).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: FM Go and CNS Barcode
              joannetbell

What I did was looked on IPhone, in FM Go settings and saw the UserName. I will rename those to the 5 locations of where they will be located in the plant. In my script I use the  Get(UserName) and load it into the DB and it gives me the name of that device. Works great!  This is fun trying to figure it all out and seeing it come together!

Thanks so much for your input!

Nothing to do with Filemaker but, One more question? Any suggestions of ways to protect the IPhone in a warehouse environment? We want to attach them to some type of coiled cable so they do not wonder off, but we want to protect them from the debris in the warehouse?

• 4. Re: FM Go and CNS Barcode
                IT_User

Otterbox is very good for protection:

http://www.otterbox.com/apple-iphone-4-cases/apple-iphone-4-cases,default,sc.html

However, if you are looking for iPhone mount that locks the otterbox case might not fit into that.

Also, Otterbox cases don't fit into many dock recharching stations, so you would need to charge it by a cable.

• 5. Re: FM Go and CNS Barcode

Hi Joanne,

Try www.Applelocks.com

They have a plate which can be glued to the back of an iPhone (or iPad). The plate has the connection to their security cable. It might even be attachable to the Otterbox.

John

• 6. Re: FM Go and CNS Barcode
                    joannetbell

Thank you! I will check that out and see if it will work!

• 7. Re: FM Go and CNS Barcode
                      joannetbell

Thanks! I will check this out and see if it works!