5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2011 1:51 AM by karo

A Simple Applescript to Print PDFs Issue

StephenWonfor

Hi

Last week I had posted about FMP errors when printing a lot (200+) invoices from a looping script. Erik had suggested printing to PDF instead - works like a charm.

Now, the next part of my problem is to get the PDFS to print automatically after the routine finishes.

I generate the PDF names so I can pass that into an Applescript and have that Applescript print the PDF.

eg.

tell application "Finder"

activate

print document file "PersianRug.pdf" of folder "Desktop" of folder "stephen" of folder "Users" of startup disk

end tell

The "issue" is that the Applescript printed pdf has the top 1.3 cm cutoff (1/2" stateside). If I print the PDF normally from Preview it is fine. Quite repeatable.

Does Applescript use something different when it prints?

OSX 10.7.2.

Stephen

"C Code.

C Code Run.

Run, Code, RUN!

PLEASE!!!!" = J. Frazier

• 1. Re: A Simple Applescript to Print PDFs Issue
          sporobolus

on 2011-11-25 15:58 StephenWonfor wrote

tell application "Finder"

activate

print document file "PersianRug.pdf" of folder "Desktop" of folder "stephen" of folder "Users" of startup disk

end tell

The "issue" is that the Applescript printed pdf has the top 1.3 cm cutoff (1/2" stateside).  If I print the PDF normally from Preview it is fine.  Quite repeatable.

Does Applescript use something different when it prints?

it's not AppleScript — Finder is the issue, it prints directly without the

benefits of Preview's guesses at page setup

if Preview works reliably better, your AppleScript could open the PDF in

Preview and tell it to print with GUI scripting; this sort of script is never

pretty, and you need to "Enable access for assistive devices" in the Universal

Access pref pane; it's possible this won't work on 10.7

tell application "Preview"

activate

open file ((path to desktop folder as string) & "PersianRug.pdf")

end tell

tell application "System Events"

tell process "Preview"

keystroke "p" using command down

set s to false

-- don't press return until Print sheet appears

repeat 10 times

if sheet 1 of window 1 exists then

keystroke return

exit repeat

end if

delay 1

end repeat

-- don't quit until printed

repeat 10 times

if (name of window 1) is not "Print" and (sheet 1 of window 1 exists) is

false then

keystroke "q" using command down

exit repeat

end if

delay 1

end repeat

end tell

end tell

(posting by email, watch for line wrap)

• 2. Re: A Simple Applescript to Print PDFs Issue
            StephenWonfor

Steve

Thanks for the info.  I'll get back with results.

Stephen

• 3. Re: A Simple Applescript to Print PDFs Issue
              karo

Hi Stephen,

as Steve wrote your printing within the Finder is not the same like printing from Preview.

Your script is like to drag and drop your pdf document directly into the printer queue (open your printer icon and you will see the list for printing).

I think if you tried this way you will get also the 1.3 cm cutoff.

If you don't want to use System Events for compatibility you can use Adobe Acrobat Pro, which is AppleScript-able.

regards,

Robert.

• 4. Re: A Simple Applescript to Print PDFs Issue
                sporobolus

on 2011-11-27 13:43 karo wrote

If you don't want to use System Events for compatibility you can use Adobe Acrobat Pro, which is AppleScript-able.

i had thought the same, and i have scripted older versions of Acrobat Pro quite

a bit, but starting with version 7 (and tested recently with version 8 and

Adobe Reader 9) printing via AppleScript has been completely broken for me; my

research found other people with the same unresolved problem

i haven't heard if this is fixed in more recent versions; if you have a print

AppleScript which works with any recent version of these apps, i would

interested to see it and know which version(s)

of course, you should be able to use the System Events approach with Acrobat

Pro or Adobe Reader if that produces better results than Preview

• 5. Re: A Simple Applescript to Print PDFs Issue
                  karo

i haven't heard if this is fixed in more recent versions; if you have a print

AppleScript which works with any recent version of these apps, i would

interested to see it and know which version(s)

I'm sorry, I have actual no AppleScript for Acrobat. I have checked only, if it is scriptable and if it understand the print command (Acrobat Pro 9).

(To tell you the truth I am not a fan of Acrobat because of the clumsy interface.

I love more to applescript Indesign and Photoshop which seems more logical and stable to me)