7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2011 8:39 AM by RubenVanDenBoogaard

standalone iPad app with FMTouch Enterprise?

performer2011

Hello everybody,

while looking for a way to make a standalone iOs app out of a FileMaker database, I've come across FMTouch Enterprise ( http://www.fmtouch.com/filemaker-iphone-enterprise.php ). The makers of FMTouch Enterprise claim you can use it to build your FileMaker files into a fully functional, stand-alone app for iPhone/iPad, which you will be able to sell on the iTunes Store.

Does anybody here have any experience with this product? Is anybody able to tell me if it works properly?

Thanks.

Francesco

• 1. Re: standalone iPad app with FMTouch Enterprise?
          beverly

there is an iOS version of FileMaker called FMGO. check FileMaker.com for info. you can use it as a client to FMServer or as standalone. works on iPad and iPhone.

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 2. Re: standalone iPad app with FMTouch Enterprise?
            CarstenLevin

Hi Beverly,

Agree, FM GO is great.

But you will not be able to sell standalones of your app via Appstore. Your customer will need to buy FMGO first.

FM touch is probably very interesting.

Best regards

Carsten

• 3. Re: standalone iPad app with FMTouch Enterprise?
              ajoe

Go to the iPhone or iPad app store and read the reviews on FMTouch. That should provide a pretty clear answer.

• 4. Re: standalone iPad app with FMTouch Enterprise?
                performer2011

not really...I'm looking for informations about FMTouch Enterprise, which is a different product.

It supposedly allows you to make a self-contained, standalone app out of a regular FM db. I actually wanted to know if anybody here has any experience in going from a FM db to a published iphone/ipad app. FM Go on the other side would require the user to install it before she can open a FM db, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

thanks.

• 5. Re: standalone iPad app with FMTouch Enterprise?
                  CarstenLevin

Hi Ajoe,

What is the answer?

- did not really understand your conclusion. Since it is about the app and not about the system to generate apps.

I can find one (1) review in the apstore. It is written by my fellow countryman, Gert Sterner.

It is reasonably positive. But it is not on the issue we are talking about.

You can not evaluate a solution like this from the short texts in the Appstore. You will need to go to FMWebschool.

It would be great with some input from people who have actually tried FMTouch enterprise etc.. I will defenitely have a look now.

Best regards

Carsten

Ps. I am in no way connected to the people from FMWebschool.

Message was edited by: CarstenLevin

• 6. Re: standalone iPad app with FMTouch Enterprise?
                    ajoe

Of course, first hand user input is always best. But in abscense of that, app store ratings can provide insight into the quality of products and support a company provides.

For FMTouch, on my iPad, the ratings are as follows:

5 star = 1

4 star = 2

3 star = 2

2 star = 1

1 star = 4

On the other hand, are there any other options?

Also, did you see this page? http://www.fmtouch.com/enterprisefaq.php

• 7. Re: standalone iPad app with FMTouch Enterprise?
                      RubenVanDenBoogaard

Hi Ajoe,

I have looked at FMTouch for a project, but dropped it fast when FMGo came along.

Developing for FMTouch is pretty complicated. You have to make a database, make a design report, upload it to FMTouch on your device, import your data, test the database on your device, make changes on your computer and make a new design report, upload it to FMTouch on your device, import your data, test the database on your device etc. etc.

Also there are a lot of things that do not work as expected, so a lot of testing is involved. So yes it is possible, but you may run into thing that do not work as you wish and it takes a long time to develop.

btw. have you seen the date on the EnterpriseFAQ page? it has not been updated since 3/16/2010, in fact the whole site still seems to be in 2010, so it seems they are not very active expanding FMTouch anymore.

Best regards,

Ruben van den Boogaard

Infomatics Software

ruben@infomatics.nl