3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2011 11:49 AM by DonClark

How do you report a bug in the new technet portal?

DonClark

I have a verifiable bug I need to report, but don't know how to do in this new format. I tried searching for known bugs, bug reporting, etc. without any luck.

Thanks-

Don

• 1. Re: How do you report a bug in the new technet portal?
          Stephen Huston

Hi Don,

I couldn't find it either. I am emailing this thread to Dave Simerly, our Tech Liason at FileMaker for this site in the hopes he can supply that info.

It really should be a specific link here, but I suspect FMI wants to discourage the plentitude of mistaken bug reports from people who report bugs before they find out what's really going on. This could turn into a much bigger mess for them to sift through with a free publlic site than in the past.

Lets see if Dave can help out.

Meanwhile, what are the specifics of your big? Help from others who may have hit the same problem is one of the main features of this site.

Stephen Huston

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do you report a bug in the new technet portal?
            RayCologon

Donaldc500 wrote:

I have a verifiable bug I need to report, but don't know how to do in this new format.  I tried searching for known bugs, bug reporting, etc. without any luck.

Thanks-

Don

Hi Don,

You can report bugs using the "New Issue" link on the right-hand side of the public forum page at:

http://forums.filemaker.com/hives/1eea103f05/summary

As I undertstand it, there's no separate bug reporting interface within the Developer Community Jive site.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------

• 3. Re: How do you report a bug in the new technet portal?
              DonClark

Thanks you Ray and Stephen. I posted the bug report and you can see it here.

Here's a recap; 

The database has an events table with related contact table - people can be attached to an event. Over IWP only (does not happen in client) with any browser (IE, Safari, Firefox), a layout based on the event table is loaded. On that table is a portal with the contacts. The portal does not allow direct addition of related records - that is done by script. However, the users are allowed to edit the information in two of the displayed field:

1. The person's Title

2. The person's organization name - a related field from the Org table.

If a user clicks in either field, then clicks the button to run the Add a Person script, the contents of both editable fields, (Title and Organization name) are doubled, with a return character inserted between the doublings. For example, if a person's title is Technician, it becomes:

Technician

Technician

The next time it happens, there would be four lines, then eight, etc.

In some instances, there were hundreds, if not thousands, of iterations.

I rewrote the Add a Person script - the behavior is the same. I tried committing records prior to doing anything else in the script, but it did not change the behavior. I tried it on a different server, same behavior. The only way I could fix it was to remove Browse access to the fields in the portal (and build a new layout to allow modifying that info).

The db was served by Win 2008.