1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2012 1:45 PM by PSI

How do i access a FMP DB on my server outside the network?

kbriscoe360

I would like to access my FMP DB by remote, It works fine when I am on the same network as the DB, however, however, if I try to access the DB outside the network I get an error message "The file xxxfp7 could not be opened. Either the host is not available, or the file is not available on that host" I am running FMS11.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do i access a FMP DB on my server outside the network?
          pthomas

Hello,

More than likely you will need to ask your IT department to set you up with a VPN connection so that you can access the network remotely over the internet.

Cheers,

Paul.

• 2. Re: How do i access a FMP DB on my server outside the network?
            kbriscoe360

Thanks Paul for the quick reply, however, I am running FMS11 on a Mac Mini at my home office. So, there is no IT departmen. As I stated earlier, I can access the DB when I am on my home network, however, if I try accessing it outside the network, I get the error message.

• 3. Re: How do i access a FMP DB on my server outside the network?
              CarstenLevin

Hi kbriscoe,

It is not very complicated. If you just want to access FileMaker Server from outside you need to do two things (assuming that your network has at least 1 fixed IP number). Both should be done via the admin console to your FireWall:

• Route you external ip number xxx.xxx.xxx to your internal IP number (the internal number probably looks like 192.168.X.X or 10.10.X.X or close to that).
              • Open port 5300 to that number.

Thats about it.

You can make life easier by making a dns a-record to your external IP number like fx: fmpro.domainname.com

If you want to do more with your FileMaker you need this information:

PurposePortComments
              FileMaker Pro to Server5300The only one needed if you just want to get access to FileMaker
              Administration Console and Admin Page16000 & 16001To administrate the FileMaker Server through the FireWall (consider not permitting this)
              WPE Engine in a two/three machine deployment5003 & 16000If there is a firewall between the DB Server and the WPE, then you need to have those ports open between them.

You may need other ports as well for more advanced setups. Have a look at fmsolutionspro , if you are ot handling your FireWall yourself you can use this diagramme to show and explain to your FW responsible (hope it is OK for fmsolutions to show it here):

• 4. Re: How do i access a FMP DB on my server outside the network?
                kbriscoe360

Not sure how to open port 5300, can you provide a screen shot?

• 5. Re: How do i access a FMP DB on my server outside the network?
                  CarstenLevin

Hi again,

Your server is probably on your internal network, and you are probably having a router with a firewall giving your network access to the internet.

It is this firewall who has to establis a connection between anybody connecting with FileMaker from the outside to the FileMaker Server on the inside. And to do this he will also have to open port 5003 on the server.

I would like to help you better, but if you did not set up your iternetconnection you should ask the one who did it to help you. It is a very simple task and should take him about 10 minutes.

You will probably also have to set your computer to a specific IP adress (do you have a Mac or a PC?).

But if this is not clear to you, then it is now you need to get somebody to help you through - perhaps a FileMaker Developer - you can search by state/adress, but here is the list:

About nat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation

• 6. Re: How do i access a FMP DB on my server outside the network?
                    GordonShewach

What Carsten is describing is called a "port forward" (sometimes called a pinhole or virtual server or any of a number of other terms). You set it up in your router (or firewall if that's what you're using). Google "how to port forward on MyRouterModel#" to find instructions on how to do this on your router. Once you've set up a port forward that opens port 5300 and goes from your external IP address (go to IPChicken.com from any computer in your home office to find this address) to the internal IP address of your FMServer, then you'll be able to point a copy of FileMaker Pro running outside your network at your external IP address and gain access to the database.

Alternatively, you can remotely control a computer on your home network from outside your network. Lots of options for remote control like logmein.com, remote desktop, Timbuktu, VNC (called Screen Sharing on the Mac), etc. Logmein has a free version and does not require port forwards like what Carsten and I are talking about.

Gordon Shewach

Desktop Services

Ann Arbor, MI

Message was edited by: GordonShewach

• 7. Re: How do i access a FMP DB on my server outside the network?
                      fitch

To configure your router, open your browser and type in its IP address, e.g. 192.168.0.1 or whatever it is. You should see a page that gives you all the options for security, ports, etc. Specific instructions for all router models are here: portforward.com

• 8. Re: How do i access a FMP DB on my server outside the network?
                        CarstenLevin

Hi Gordon,

No. Just to avoid misunderstandings. I am not describing a virtual server here. That's something completely differetnt.

Best regards

Carsten

• 9. Re: How do i access a FMP DB on my server outside the network?
                          GordonShewach

I know that, Carsten. But "virtual server" is a term used by some routers to describe what's more commonly called "port forwarding" (D-Link, for example, uses this term).

Gordon

• 10. Re: How do i access a FMP DB on my server outside the network?
                            kbriscoe360

Ok, I followed everyone’s suggestions and I still cannot access my database outside the network. I have attached several screen shot to see if this may help resolve my issue.

Screen Shot 1:

IMG_0364.JPG

Port Mapping to Port 5300. I blocked out the last two digits of my IP Address.

Screen Shot 2:

IMG_0370.JPG

Utilizing the Open Remote file command on my PÇ using FMPA. I am also, using an air card on my PC.

• 11. Re: How do i access a FMP DB on my server outside the network?
                              GordonShewach

The first screenshot shows you are port forwarding port 5300. It's port 5003 (I see someone had a typo above). Also, you're port forwarding UDP along with TCP and you only need to do TCP.

The second screenshot shows you trying to access FM Server from a private 10.x.x.x IP address sitting behind your router on your local area network. I believe you said you're trying to access this from outside your network. You need to be on your local area network and go to ipchicken.com and find out what your public IP address is and use that when trying to access, instead of the 10.0.1.n address.

Gordon Shewach

Desktop Services

Ann Arbor, MI

• 12. Re: How do i access a FMP DB on my server outside the network?
                                ibrahim_bittar

As Gordon mentioned, the port is 5003 (TCP).

By the way, if you want to take a screenshot of a mac window follow these simple steps:

1.- Press CMD + SHIFT + 4 on your keyboard. Your cursor changes to a cross.

2.- Position the cursor over the window you want to take a picture to.

3.- Press the spacebar. The window turns light blue and the cursor turn into a camera icon.

4.- Click

You'll get a file called screenshot blah blah blah on your desktop. It's in png format and 100% web compatible.

If you want only a portion of the window or screen just drag after pressing CMD + SHIFT + 4.

Enjoy.

Ibrahim.

• 13. Re: How do i access a FMP DB on my server outside the network?
                                  kbriscoe360

Thanks a lot, it is working now. I really appreciate the support. Again Thanks!!

• 14. Re: How do i access a FMP DB on my server outside the network?
                                    kbriscoe360

Thanks a lot, it is working now. I really appreciate the support. Again Thanks!!

1 2 Previous Next