9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2011 6:16 PM by Malcolm

kill Save changes to Layout prompt

techt

There are some older post, but no solution posted, so I thought I'd put this back up and see if an enhancement request is needed or if someone has found a workaround.

When a file is hosted on FMS, and the user clicks the Status Bar icon to switch from the Form to List view, the following prompt appears: "Do you wish to save this change with the layout?" which is undesirable in the extreme. The new Status Bar in FMP10 was touted with many benefits, one of which was leveraging what was native in FMP, including the Form, List, and Table buttons. Unfortunately, this prompt seems to pop up a lot more these days, even on non-hosted files and I'd be happy to see the back of it.

Running scripts under Full Access, separate layouts for Form and List View, and other Priviledge Set tweaks have no effect. Since this is a FMP prompt, if fires before scripts so setting error capture on has no effect. With layout script triggers, I'm trying to use the Status Bar buttons to let the user navigate between the Form and List view without adding additional buttons to the layouts. I don't remember Table view popping this message *every - single - time* but perhaps a recent update has fostered this anoyance.

Does anyone have a workaround for this, or is an anhancement request in order? Or am I tilting at windmills?

• 1. Re: kill Save changes to Layout prompt
          DrewTenenholz

Dear techt (sorry, your name isn't in the email interface),

• 2. Re: kill Save changes to Layout prompt
            filemakeris.us

you can solve it via a Script !

1- Write the following scripts

#######

List View Script

Set Error Capture[on]

Go To List View

#####

Form View Script

Set Error Capture[on]

Go To Form View

2- Then, attach that script to the menu command (FileMaker Pro Advanced only)

Screen Shot 2011-12-06 at 8.06.05 PM.png

If you need help, send me your DB and I can attach this scripts into it

Best Wishes,

DD

• 3. Re: kill Save changes to Layout prompt
              techt

Thanks for this. I didn't want to get into rebuilding the menu command, but that certainly solved the problem. Now to confirm consistent naming of layouts and pass the values to make the menu scripts more dynamic.

Cheers!

TT

• 4. Re: kill Save changes to Layout prompt
                DrewTenenholz

P.S.  Jive apparently killed the text of my message, so I'm reposting via the @#!#$% web interface.

At 12:27 PM -0800 12/6/11, techt wrote:

>With layout script triggers, I'm trying to use the Status Bar buttons to let the user navigate between the Form and List view without adding additional buttons to the layouts.

You don't need script triggers, you probably want Custom Menus instead.

Set up a script that accepts a parameters and repoint the menu commands for 'View As List' and 'View As Form' to point to that script with the desired parameter.  Leave the check box for 'based on command' ticked.  Now, choosing either the menu command or the toolbar icons will run the script instead.

This will prevent the error you are seeing.

One downside to this method is that you will either want to have a reliable layout naming scheme (so that the one custom menu will suffice for many layout situations) or a bunch of custom menu sets with the nearly identical change (so that you can have custom menu set 'A' for use with one pair of layouts and custom menu set 'B' with another pair of layouts).

You could also set up the unitary script to be ready to account for a whole variety of possible layout switches (e.g. If: [ Get (LayoutName)= 'X"; NewLayoutName="Y") ], but I'm too lazy to write all those lines and would probably opt for a 'Contacts-Form' & 'Contacts-List' layout pair and a 'Message-Form' & 'Messages-List' so that I could have NewLayoutName= LeftWords (Get ( layoutName ); 1) &"-" & Get ( ScriptParameter).

-- Drew Tenenholz

• 5. Re: kill Save changes to Layout prompt
                  DrewTenenholz

P.S.  Jive apparently killed the text of my message, so I'm reposting via the @#!#$% web interface.

At 12:27 PM -0800 12/6/11, techt wrote:

>With layout script triggers, I'm trying to use the Status Bar buttons to let the user navigate between the Form and List view without adding additional buttons to the layouts.

You don't need script triggers, you probably want Custom Menus instead.

Set up a script that accepts a parameters and repoint the menu commands for 'View As List' and 'View As Form' to point to that script with the desired parameter.  Leave the check box for 'based on command' ticked.  Now, choosing either the menu command or the toolbar icons will run the script instead.

This will prevent the error you are seeing.

One downside to this method is that you will either want to have a reliable layout naming scheme (so that the one custom menu will suffice for many layout situations) or a bunch of custom menu sets with the nearly identical change (so that you can have custom menu set 'A' for use with one pair of layouts and custom menu set 'B' with another pair of layouts).

You could also set up the unitary script to be ready to account for a whole variety of possible layout switches (e.g. If: [ Get (LayoutName)= 'X"; NewLayoutName="Y") ], but I'm too lazy to write all those lines and would probably opt for a 'Contacts-Form' & 'Contacts-List' layout pair and a 'Message-Form' & 'Messages-List' so that I could have NewLayoutName= LeftWords (Get ( layoutName ); 1) &"-" & Get ( ScriptParameter).

-- Drew Tenenholz

• 6. Re: kill Save changes to Layout prompt
                    RayCologon

techt wrote:

...Unfortunately, this prompt seems to pop up a lot more these days, even on non-hosted files and I'd be happy to see the back of it.

Running scripts under Full Access, separate layouts for Form and List View, and other Priviledge Set tweaks have no effect. Since this is a FMP prompt, if fires before scripts so setting error capture on has no effect...

Hi TT,

I can't say I've ever encountered the "Do you wish to save this change with the layout?" prompt on a "non-hosted" file, and would be curious to know under what conditions you are seeing it when the file in question is not hosted?

Meanwhile, I'm surprised to hear you say that "Privilege Set tweaks" have no effect on this issue. In my experience, the prompt only appears when the user is logged in to a hosted file using an account associated with a privilege set that allows changes to the current layout - in all other cases, it is suppressed.

Whilst acknowleging your irritation, I can't say I've found the prompt to be a problem - partly because I typically design layouts for a specific view and disable other views, and also because I don't commonly associate end users' login credentials with privilege sets that allow editing of layouts. In the rare cases where a layout is designed to be editable by end-users *and* to be accessed using more than one view, the prompt does not seem all that inappropriate (ie the user has been granted privileges to change the layout and is doing so...) - in which case if it's a problem, as others have pointed out, you can suppress the prompt by using custom menus.

By all means log it as an enhancement request if it is somehow central or essential to the way you or your users need to work - but I confess I can think of a lot of other changes I'd personally regard as more urgent needs (calculated button text on custom dialogs anyone?!).

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------

• 7. Re: kill Save changes to Layout prompt
                      techt

Hi Ray! Thanks for the feedback. The place I hit it most often is making a change in the table view, even though I'm a Full Access user. It's weird to be sure as I don't recall seeing it previously.

I've added both Form and List view to both the specific form and list layouts (each one is unique). The reasoning for having both view available, even though I don't have a single layout for both, is so that the Form and List view buttons are available from the Status Bar. When the user clicks on the List button (when on the Form layout), they are taking to the List view layout. I ended up scripting the Go to Form and Go to List commands and replaced the default menu commands for the user menu set. It works like a charm (thanks to others for the direction).

I agree, different layouts for different functions/views and the end-user doesn't get to edit any layouts (that's why they're end-users). I like custom menus, I just wish there was an easier (and quicker) way to manage and test them. I'll do some more testing with some different files to see if I can pinpoint the Table view change pop-up, and perhaps an enhancement request is in order (at least for suppression since it can't be dealt with directly in a script).

Calculated button text on custom dialogs? It took me a second, but boy would that be cool.

Thanks Ray!

• 8. Re: kill Save changes to Layout prompt
                        filemakeris.us

Calculated button text on custom dialogs? It took me a second, but boy would that be cool.

You can do it! I STRONGLY recommend you 24's Dialog Plugin (http://www.24usoftware.com/SimpleDialog) It's worth every cent.

DD