1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 6, 2011 3:00 PM by filemakeris.us

several events with hundreds of guests in 1 database

keri@justroughinit

Hey,

This question is more about development but I can't seem to find much help anywhere. I have the missing manual and have consulted it and still can't find my answer. I used to use ACT for PC and now that I have a Mac have switched the FileMakerPro. What I want to do is be able to open one database that has 12 databases in it and variable number of datebases within that. Basically, I have several events a month, and each even has a different guest list. What I want to do is make this interface userfriendly and clean. I want to open a file, say one labeled 2012. Within 2012 I want 12 months. In each month I have at least 10 events and each event has at least 6 guests. My biggest problem is that I don't want to look at everything at once. I want them to be like folders within folders, but need the datebase to be able to perform a search function that can search throughout each folder. ACT could do this. How can I make my filemakerpro look more like a filing cabinet and less like a giant spread sheet where I have to search by 3 different criteria to find what I want?

Any help would be appreciated.

Email me at keri@justroughinit.com

Thanks!

• 1. Re: several events with hundreds of guests in 1 database
          filemakeris.us

Keri, welcome to the community.

I believe we should work together in building a data model that fit your needs. Sometimes you need to forget the way ACT worked and re-think your solution on a FileMaker11 mind.

IMHO I'll only have:

- Just one database with the required tables. (12DBs sounds like A LOT!)

- I'll have a table named  events another one named guests another events_guests and later one named dates

- Table Dates will only have ONE record with a global field (the date)

- Events will have _pk_eventID ; Date; Comment

- Guest will have _pk_guestID; Name; Last Name

- events_guests will have _fk_eventID; _fk_guestID

Don't worry if the things I'm writing you sounds like ALIEN ; if you need , during the next days I can write a simple solution with this criteria.

DD