1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2011 9:00 AM by MartyPellicore

Problem with save records as pdf

MartyPellicore

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with saving a multi page document to a a pdf. I have a 4-12 page document that has a 72px margin for the inside and 36px for the rest. This is for two sided printing. I have this automated using scripts to save records as pdf. The pdf is no longer correct. This work great for a long time but not any more. I can print to a pdf and that works. Any time I try to use the save record as pdf with the inside margin larger then the others it doesn't save correctly. The first and second pages look good but every other page is way off to the right. I have tried creating a new file on a different machine and it still is not correct. Does any one have any ideas why this would have changed or what I can?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Problem with save records as pdf
          filemakeris.us

Hi, check if the Page Setup settings are corrent within your script...

Prior to the Save As PDF I always add a Print Setup[] to achieve more control of the output.

Screen Shot 2011-12-07 at 9.41.13 PM.png

Love and mercy,

DD

• 2. Re: Problem with save records as pdf
            MartyPellicore

Thanks for your reply. Yes I do have a page setup step in my script. But the thing is even if I do the page setup and save records as PDF manually it does the same thing. The save records as PDF just doesn't"t save correctly any more.

• 3. Re: Problem with save records as pdf
              MicheleOlson

Hi mpellicore, (you didn't sign your real name so I can't address you by same).

In your question, you haven't given us all the information we may need to help with an answer. What OS? What version of FM? What has changed on your computer in recent time? Did you install a new printer? A new printer driver?

mpellicore wrote:

The pdf is no longer correct. This work great for a long time but not any more. I can print to a pdf and that works. Any time I try to use the save record as pdf with the inside margin larger then the others it doesn't save correctly.

What exactly is incorrect?

You have a multi-page document with one set of margins on the first two pages and different margins for the remaining pages? Is this all one layout?

In the Layout Setup is the Printing set to use Fixed Page Margins? Is Facing Pages checked? Is the inside margin set to a larger number than the outside margin?

mpellicore wrote:

The first and second pages look good but every other page is way off to the right.

Facing Pages is the typical setting for a book-like format. If margins on the left and right were different amounts (say 1 inch and 1/2 inch), choosing Facing Pages would cause the odd numbered pages to have a 1" left margin with a 1/2 " right margin & the even numbered pages to have the opposite – a 1/2" left margin and a 1" right margin. With Facing Pages, the assumption is the printing will go on both sides of the paper as in a book with center binding.

Within a script the settings for the Print Setup and Print and/or Save to PDF script steps can be set for successive printing or PDFing. If the script has not changed and it used to work as you expected, then you should look at what may have changed on your computer that would cause those settings to not work as expected.

Also within the Save to PDF script step you can set the PDF Option > Initial View for a Page Layout of Facing Pages.

In my tests if you have Facing Pages marked in both places (Layout Setup and PDF Options) the results are NOT consistent. I would say one or the other, but not both.

You can write the script again, or at least part of it.

Using FileMaker Pro Advanced. Disable the Print Setup, Print and/or Save to PDF script steps. Manually produce your report making sure you set the Print Setup and Print and/or Save to PDF as you go to achieve the output results you need. If the manual report produces correctly, then return to your script and add NEW Print Setup, Print and/or Save to PDF script steps. They should now be set as needed for successful printing or PDFing. Test your script. If successful, you can delete the disabled steps.

HTH,

Michele

• 4. Re: Problem with save records as pdf
                MartyPellicore

Hi Michele,

Ok so I have try this on two different machines and works the same on both. First is FileMaker Pro 11 Adanced on a Mac Pro running Mac Server 10.6.6 the other is the same FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced on a MacBook running 10.5.8

I would like to say nothing has changed but something must have and what every it was I have no idea. After noticing the issue I did install print drives and have try with two different printer setups. A HP Laserjet 1300 and an Epson Stylus Photo RX500. Again from both machines and with the same results.

Michele you are very close. Ok lets see if I can describe what's happening. I have a layout with layout settings set at 72px inside margin and all other margins are set at 36px and facing pages. The body is 4-12 pages long. So your are correct I am trying to print book-like with printing on both sides of the paper. The pdf setting are Initial View, Show = Pages Panel and page, Page Layout = Single page and Magnification = 100%. I have try all different settings and all with the same results.

If was happening just in the script I would just rewrite the script. The thing is not only have I tried the page setup and save records as pdf manually ( from the File menu) but I created a new FM file with just one layout and some text for 4 pages and tried it and again I get the same results. There was no copy and paste either.

Ok so what exactly is wrong? What I should be getting and did get at one time was the first page would be off center to the right (page 1 odd) and the second page off center to the left (page 2 even) this was true for all other pages. What is happening now is the first page is off center to the right but now the second page is off center father to the right then page one and page three is more off cennter to the right then page two. Page four is in the same position as page two. Page five is the same as page three and so on.

So no matter how I use the save records as pdf I get those results, but if I just go to print the report and choose save as pdf in the print dialog it works fine. Again I get the same results on both machine listed above.

Marty

• 5. Re: Problem with save records as pdf
                  MicheleOlson

Hi Marty,

The pdf setting are Initial View, Show = Pages Panel and page, Page Layout = Single page and Magnification = 100%.

Try changing the Page Layout to Facing. In my testing that was the choice I had and the pdf document was correct.

Michele

• 6. Re: Problem with save records as pdf
                    MartyPellicore

Michele,

Ok,

With facing page checked in FM and facing page unchecked in save records as pdf same results.

With facing page checked in FM and facing page checked in save records as pdf same results.

With facing page unchecked in FM and facing page checked in save records as pdf all pages are the same.

With the facing pages unchecked in both FM and save records as pdf all pages are the same.

Same results = First page correct, second page is farther to the right, third page is farther to the right then page two.

Pages 2,4,6 are the same and pages 3,5,7 are the same.

Thanks,

Marty

• 7. Re: Problem with save records as pdf
                      MicheleOlson

Marty,

Why do you attach a small file with not important data? I'll take a look.

Michele

• 9. Re: Problem with save records as pdf
                        MicheleOlson

Marty,

The PDFs show what is off on the printing, but without seeing the FM file there is no way to tell what settings are causing this.

Sorry.

Michele

• 10. Re: Problem with save records as pdf
                          MartyPellicore

Michele,

I did create a new file and that does the same. I also sent you a copy @ your info email.

Thanks

Marty

• 11. Re: Problem with save records as pdf
                            MartyPellicore

Michele,

Found it, I thought they should have something I just didn't look hard enough. So here is my test file.

Marty

• 12. Re: Problem with save records as pdf
                              MicheleOlson

Hi Marty,

I did take a look at your file and see the issue between saving to PDF and printing a PDF or Preview (I use a Mac) document. I can't explain why the issue occurs. I tried the file in both FMP 11 and FMP 10 and there was no different. I added a field, copy/pasted your text into the 6 records, created a new layout with settings of Facing Pages and the margins you indicated and the results are the same as you see.

I created a new file, added the field, added your text, tried both the print to PDF and save as PDF with exactly the same results as your original file.

There evidentially is a flaw in the Save to PDF command when using Facing Pages that causes the text on pages 3, 5, 7, etc to move an extra 1/2 in or so to the right.

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/42345#42345

• 13. Re: Problem with save records as pdf
                                MicheleOlson

(Sorry, in trying to save, I replied before finishing the post.)

I searched Save to PDF and found quite a few posts from the earlier archives that reported issues. Unfortunately those archives are not threaded and some of the posts seem to be missing. The message link I included in the reply above seems similar to yours. I don't know that it solves your problem, but it does indicate that others have had a similiar one.

I would suggest you also search the Knowledge Base at the FileMaker site. There seem to be a lot of articles there about PDF document and possible issue.

In the end, you may want to post this as a trouble issue.

Michele

• 14. Re: Problem with save records as pdf
                                  MartyPellicore

Well I was hoping you would have the better results. Thank you very much for trying. Believe it or not your finding are a great help. What's really bad is that it worked great for over a year.

After doing a little research of the good pdfs I now know something must have changed between 11/16/11 and 12/5/11. I found that the good pdfs are from FileMaker 11.0v3. So I tried uninstalling FileMaker and reinstalling up to 11.0v3 but that didn't help, same results. I am thinking that when I installed the update 11.0v4 it changed something that creates the pdf but uninstalling doesn't change it back because all you do on a Mac to uninstall in delete a folder and a file. So my next experiment is installing FM 11.0v3 on my brothers and see if that works. I did that last night and still no luck.

So when I got home last night I found some log files and it seems the only thing I can see changing is an update to iTunes. So today I will try to uninstall iTunes and/or start from scratch  and wipe a hard drive clean and start from there.

I will post my finds when I’m finished.

1 2 Previous Next