7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2011 3:24 PM by Malcolm

how to remove the lines from a repeating container field?

s

FMPA 11 on Mac OS X

I am using an unstored calculated container field with 56 repetitions to produce a visual display of student attendance - a black repetition shows the student was present, a white repetition shows the student was absent.

This works OK, except the resulting container field shows lines between the repetitions.

repeating container field.png

The calc uses 2 global container fields - one white and one black - which both have the line width set to zero. I also tried it with the line width set to 1 and the line color matching the fill color.

How does one get rid of the lines between repetitions?

TIA

--

Steve Moore

Cumberland, Maine

• 1. Re: how to remove the lines from a repeating container field?
          Malcolm

Select the repeating field. Open the inspector and switch to the appearance pane. At the top there are options to apply line formatting to the all sides or each side . There is also the option to apply formatting to the line between repetitions.

Malcolm

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how to remove the lines from a repeating container field?
            thosliot

Steve,

I think the (somewhat counter-intuitive) settings you need for the repeating field are a line width of None, with all borders, including the repetition divider, set to show. The border colour and pattern are irrelevant.

On 13 Dec 2011, at 02:01, s wrote

The calc uses 2 global container fields - one white and one black - which both have the line width set to zero. I also tried it with the line width set to 1 and the line color matching the fill color.

The border settings for the global source fields are irrelevant, they only affect how these are displayed not what is stored in them. Also, as you may already know, the size of image stored in the globals is irrelevant and need only be a single pixel of the required colour, so long as you specify the field format for the repeater as Reduce or Enlarge to Fit and to uncheck Maintain original proportions

cheers

Tom

• 3. Re: how to remove the lines from a repeating container field?
              s

Thank you, Tom and Malcolm for your replies. Somehow I missed that last little icon for the repetition borders.

Apparently it also matters in which order you apply those attributes in the Inspector. The attached picture shows two instances of the same field with the exact same settings, yet still the lines between repetitions show on one of them. And what's with the gradient effect?

container borders compared.png

Note: the 2-pixel gray border is a separate object, and not related to this problem.

In any case, now I've got it sorted, thanks to your help. Much appreciated.

--

Steve Moore

Cumberland, Maine

PS - and what's with this dialog box? There is no Show menu, though there is a Show sub-menu under the View menu.

fmp borders warning.png

• 4. Re: how to remove the lines from a repeating container field?
                Stephen Huston

Hi Steve,

Is there a reason you aren't using  FM 11's Charting tool to represent this calc in a FM-native chart/graph?

It doesn't require the repeating field in the table, and the results are much cleaner for bar charts.

Stephen Huston

• 5. Re: how to remove the lines from a repeating container field?
                  s

Hi Stephen,

I need to overlay an 8-week grid so it is apparent at a glance which students are enrolled for each week, like this:

week dividers.png

Also, I am planning to turn some of the repetitions a different color to indicate absences.

I don't know how to do that with a graph - can I just plop that grid on top of a bar chart? Hmmm...

Plus, I thought the container idea seemed so simple...

--

Steve Moore

Stephen Huston wrote:

Hi Steve,

Is there a reason you aren't using  FM 11's Charting tool to represent this calc in a FM-native chart/graph?

It doesn't require the repeating field in the table, and the results are much cleaner for bar charts.

Stephen Huston

• 6. Re: how to remove the lines from a repeating container field?
                    ibrahim_bittar

I know you don't want bars but if you want a FAST bar calculation you can use this:

Let ( Amount = ( 1- ( Overdue.TotalAmount / SalesCreditLimit ) ) * 26 ;

If ( AvailableCredit.Number > 0 ; Repeat ( "I" ; Amount ) ; "No Credit" ) )

The trick is the repeat function. You can format your pipe character as bold 18 pt and looks great. Check this example:

Screen Shot 2011-12-13 at 15.47.46.png Screen Shot 2011-12-13 at 15.53.51.png

The battery icon is an independent graphic placed underneath the pipes.

Hope this helps.

Ibrahim

• 7. Re: how to remove the lines from a repeating container field?
                      Malcolm

The trick is to lay charts over one another. It does not work when you have noncontiguous data.

Google charts offer a more comprehensive set of options which can be displayed through the web viewer.

Malcolm