11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2011 11:17 PM by LyndsayHowarth

forward and back arrows are grayed out

patgo

I have 2 questions, one about the find function arrows and the other about finding a developer for a dedicated pricing program, for screenprinting garments.

Apologies in advance if I am in the wrong place, as I am wanting to locate a developer to help with a solution.

I have filemaker Pro 9, 11, and FileMaker Pro Advanced.

I have been working in version 9, but for Lion compatibility, I want now to use FLMP 11 for pricing program, but right away there is a problem, the back and forward find buttons are greyed out, so that I can not navigate.

I read the message about creating shortcuts where it says: Next and previous menu items are in the Records>Go to Record sub menu.

I am not sure of the terminology, but I am using a dedicated program for pricing screenprinted garments, and I think the creators have somehow blocked certain functions in it. There is no "Records>Go to Record" sub menu anywhere in that stand alone solution.

The creators are not available for help, and there is no upgrade path for me through them; and in fact they have gone to a subscription venue, which is totally unacceptable to me.

So really, I am mostly wanting to contact a developer who might help to develope my own solution, based on the general model of the dedicated pricing program, or failing that, some guidance along the way, as I try to do it myself. This would not be copying the original solution in any way, but there are certain requirements in the forms that would have to be similar, as they are necessary for proper functioning.

Thank you,

Patgo

• 1. Re: forward and back arrows are grayed out
          LyndsayHowarth

Hi Patgo,

It is fairly common for developers to lock users out of certain functions... so they don't get lost or do something without going through a scripted process. It is unfortunate that you don't have access... but it is all to do with Intellectual Property which by default is owned by the developer.

There are many developers who could build what you require... most of them in this community. There is also a listing of Developers you can search here:

http://developer.filemaker.com/search/

You may wish to select a developer geographically close or one who works remotely with clients all over the world... as many of us do.

The first stage is to define what you require and write up a specification for a developer... then send it to your selected developer so they understand the scope of what you want.

HTH

- Lyndsay

• 2. Re: forward and back arrows are grayed out

"the back and forward find buttons are greyed out, so that I can not navigate. "

Hi Patgo,

Both forward and backward buttons could also be greyed out if there is only one record in the table or no records in the table ... or in Find Mode (and only one request) or Preview with only one page? 

This is probably not the issue but I thought I should check.

• 3. Re: forward and back arrows are grayed out
              patgo

LaRetta, thanks for your reply,

but there are more records in the table, for sure.

Thanks again,

Patricia Goff

graphicg@bellsouth.net

• 4. Re: forward and back arrows are grayed out
                Mike_Mitchell

A couple of other possibilities:

1) No records in the found set.

2) The current layout is pointing to a utility table, not the table in which the actual records exist. This can happen when the developer has a heavily scripted / controlled interface. In such a case, the utility table may have only global fields and no actual records.

Mike

• 5. Re: forward and back arrows are grayed out
                  RayCologon

Mike_Mitchell wrote:

A couple of other possibilities:

1) No records in the found set.

Yes, or, more likely (especially assuming that data is showing on the layout) one record in the found set. Both navigation arrows are grayed out with either one or zero records.

Patricia, assuming we're talking about the Status Toolbar navigation controls, rather than custom controls provided by the developers of the solution, you'll be able to tell whether the found set or record count is the issue by checking the text adjacent to navigation controls (next to the pie icon). There it states the number of records, so if there is only one record in the current table, it will say 1 Total... - like this:

OneRecord.png

...whereas if there is one record in the found set, but more records in the table, it will have the "1" followed by a slash and then the number of records in the table, and underneath it will say "Found..." - more like this:

TwoRecords.png

One or other of these situations would also be the case in relation to the second "utilty table" scenario that Mike has mentioned.

If that's not what you're seeing, an option you might consider is to post a screenshot of the window (or at least of the area where the non-functional buttons are) here, so folk can get a better sense of what you're dealing with.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 7. Re: forward and back arrows are grayed out

"There is no "Records>Go to Record" sub menu anywhere in that stand alone solution."

Custom Menu with  Records menu name removed will also produce grayed out arrows.

• 8. Re: forward and back arrows are grayed out
                      RayCologon

LaRetta wrote:

...Custom Menu with  Records menu name removed will also produce grayed out arrows.

True, and in fact merely removing the Go To Record sub-menu from the Records menu (and not adding it to any other menu) will have the same effect. So if there is no >Go To Record sub-menu anywhere in the menu system for the solution Patricia is using, that would indeed account for the inactive toolbar navigation buttons.

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 9. Re: forward and back arrows are grayed out
                        jormond

Does your mouse have a scroll wheel?  At least on Windows the scroll wheel still moves to other records.

• 10. Re: forward and back arrows are grayed out
                          patgo

First, thanks, every one for the responces, I really appreciate them.

But the problem is a little different. I just tryed to post a picture, but that did not work, but I can tell you that there are over 1400 records in the found set. Also, the scroll wheel has no effect.

Not only that, but I suspect that once I'd gotten past that road block, I would find many others.

What I really need to do is create my own solution, and recreate my own variation on the whole stand alone program to work for me.

I can supply pictures of all the tables; I would only need to figure out the relationships, and it should work for me.

The whole thing would revolve around my invoice/estimate, and some pricing tables. As I am a custom t-shirt printer,

I would need a repeating table for each style of garment offered, so that is a lot of tables, but I guess only one would be needed for this, and then I could download the prices from my wholesale blanks supplier(s).

And then there are few princing tables, showing the cost per print, depending on the number of colors used and the number of locations printed on the shirt or other garment.

There is also a table with the markup percentages, depending on the quantity ordered.

That is the basic skeleton.

I do not know that much about how this would come together in filemaker, but I could figure it all out with time, but I may not have the time to do this, as I need to upgrade to Lion ASAP, so I will need to solicit developers for estimates on guiding me over the rough spots in the project.

Or it may be that my best option will be to just get started, and ask questions as the need arises.

And really, I would prefer to do most of the work myself, so that I would have control over the whole process and be able to change any of the factors as needed as time goes on.

I have looked at the startup solutions shown by filmaker, but none of them are intricate enough for my needs.

• 11. Re: forward and back arrows are grayed out
                            LyndsayHowarth

Hi Patgo,

Such systems already exist... in many developers portfolios...

eg for a swimwear operation offering custom designs for teams with a range of options including men/women and several cuts and styles where the team may commission a number of options in a number of sizes and where this information is used from manufacture and worker assignments thru to dispatch.

What you have outline is a subset of that... depending on which part(s) of the process you need.

Yes... you could probably quickly get the basic tables and relationships in place... but that is the first 5% of the job. Interface is a major element to be considered and it is that which will take time.

I would also not recommend starting with a starter solution unless it is almost what you want.

HTH

- Lyndsay

... Meaning the starter solutions have a lot of structure you may not use and it will take you longer to figure out what you don't need than to start from scratch. You can copy and paste elements of a starter solution you like to your new solution (certainly in FileMaker Pro Advanced)

Message was edited by: LyndsayHowarth

1 of 1 people found this helpful