1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2011 9:16 AM by StephenWonfor

Fluid.app

ibrahim_bittar

Hi All

I've testing this small mac application and is great.

It converts your web application in a regular application. This means you can have technet in an independent application in your dock and launch it without launching your web browser, typing the URL, etc. Just put your user name and password.

Hope you like it:

http://www.fluidapp.com/

Regards

Ibrahim.

• 1. Re: Fluid.app
          Malcolm

I've used Fluid with other web sites but it doesn't play happily with Technet. It simply switches over to Safari everytime I click a link.

Malcolm

• 2. Re: Fluid.app
            ibrahim_bittar

At least today it has worked without problems.

Saludos

Ibrahim Bittar Torres

Director General

Eikonsys, S.A. de C.V.

FileMaker 10 Certified Developer

http://www.eikonsys.com

FileMaker Business Alliance

• 3. Re: Fluid.app
              StephenWonfor

Ibrahim

I get a "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below." when I go to TT (ro whatever we call it now) from my Fluid app.  Todd Ditchendorf (father of Fluid) says "if the file extension has been changed to anything else (like '.html'), please change it to '.fluidlicense' and try again. that should fix the issue until i can issue a new version of Fluid that is more forgiving of these things."

Mine looks fine but throws that XML error.  What is the address you are feeding to Fluid?  The one I used is from a Josh Ormond post - https://fmdev.filemaker.com/community/feeds/threads?containerType=14&container=1

Stephen

---

"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." --- Yogi Berra

• 4. Re: Fluid.app
                MicheleOlson

Thanks for the tip, Ibrahim. I like this app. Pinning it to the Mac status bar, gives you a means to have it pop whenever you want to check "wha's happening".

BTW, I used the url https://fmdev.filemaker.com/index.jspa, and created panels to the other places I frequent.

Michele

• 5. Re: Fluid.app
                  ibrahim_bittar

Hi Stephen

As Michele said, I used this address: https://fmdev.filemaker.com/login.jspa

After I login into the system everything works just like in Safari.

Here are a couple of screenshots:

Screen Shot 2011-12-14 at 08.06.28.png

Screen Shot 2011-12-14 at 08.06.41.png

Three "by the ways" here:

1.- I'm creating this post from the Fluid app directly.

2.- It's very annoying to click the camera icon twice to insert each image. Hope this can be fixed soon .

3.- It's REALLY COOL to be able to edit a post after it was sent .

I edited this post about ten times....

Cheers

Ibrahim

• 6. Re: Fluid.app
                    beverly

Stephen, this may appear with various browsers, when viewing the XML "raw". The "tree" can be a default stylesheet applied by the browser. If you look at the "source" for the XML, it may appear "unformatted" or with other things the browser does not render through its default stylesheet.

And do you have the extension being read "automatically" by an application for which it is not otherwise intended? For example, I do much editing of '.htm', so default to BBEdit to open it (if not directly pushed to a browser). That's just my preference.

What browser are you using and what preference settings are you using?

Beverly

• 7. Re: Fluid.app
                      StephenWonfor

Beverly

Thanks for the info.  I got it to work with the https://fmdev.filemaker.com/login.jspa link.  Very cool.

Stephen

---

"Unable to send trailing nul to printer: Broken pipe" - from an HP Printer

• 8. Re: Fluid.app
                        MicheleOlson

This is a test. Please Ignore.

screen shot (fluid FM Dev Comm) pinned to status bar

• 9. Re: Fluid.app
                          mpomathews

Hi Ibrahim

I just tried the app with the link you posted, seems to work great... could be really handy!

Mark

• 10. Re: Fluid.app
                            MicheleOlson

I will add a Fluid.app use tip. This is a very nice tool. Thanks again Ibrahim.

Here is the tip for Mac users (but there may be something similar for Windows):

Create a Fluid app for the FMP 11 Help file.

You'll need to locate the url for the file on your computer. Here is the path on mine, yours will be similar:

file:///Applications/FileMaker%20Pro%2011%20Advanced/FileMaker%20Pro%20Advanced.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/FileMaker%20Pro%20Help/index.html

This becomes the FM Help app, which when pinned to the Mac status bar is MUCH nicer than the always-present-Mac-help-file-that-covers-too-much-of-the-screen.

You can resize the pinned app window to one that suits you better and when you click another window it disappears as is should.

You can keep the app from reverting to Sarafi or other browser when clicking links by adding a Whitelist preference to allow browsing to URLs with matching patterns of:

*/FileMaker%20Pro%20Help/html/*

Hope you find this helpful.

Michele

• 11. Re: Fluid.app
                              mrwatson-gbs

+1 from me. I use Fluid app apps for tons of stuff. Love it.

• 12. Re: Fluid.app
                                MikeMcErlean

+1 from me, too.

Thanks Michele, for giving all the details for setting this up. This is SO much better than the native help file.

Mike

• 13. Re: Fluid.app
                                  StephenWonfor

Michele

Cool idea.  My path is "file:///Applications/Filemaker/FMA11A/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/FileMaker Pro Help/index.html".  Sadly Fluid believes the URL is wrong - it is a copy/paste from GetInfo with "file://" added as prefix.  Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong there?

Stephen

---

"Communism is like one big phone company." --- Lenny Bruce

• 14. Re: Fluid.app
                                    StephenWonfor

Ah.  Think fully then post.  It needs the "%20" in lieu of the spaces in the path.

1 2 Previous Next