10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2011 5:45 PM by StanMillar

Xpost Account/privilege set oddity

StanMillar

Hi all

I have a rather odd situation that I am hoping someone can explain.

I have a privilege set that uses PatternCount ( Get ( AccountName ) ; limitedID ) where limitedID (not the real name of the field) is a text field used to restrict access to records that only have that ID. The same ID can apply to multiple records and access to certain records may change over time. The rights are set or removed in a separate routine.

This works perfectly when accessing files on my server when accessed from within my office. But, and here's the catch, it does not work when accessing those same files when I am accessing them from outside the office.

Watching the Data Viewer when logging on with the restricted privileges, the limitedID field is blank when I know the record I am looking at has the correct limitedID to match the PatternCount ( Get ( AccountName ) ; limitedID ). If I access the same record with full access privileges it shows the correct limitedID as it should.

Any ideas?

Stan
      Stan Millar
      Director
      Bromac Business Services Pty Ltd
      Loan Administration
      w: http://www.bromac.com.au/
      e: <stan@bromac.com.au>
      P: +61 7 3397 9998
      F: +61 7 3910 1092
      National Secretary
      Finance Brokers Association of Australia
      Secretary
      TFP Co-operative Limited

• 1. Re: Xpost Account/privilege set oddity
          tech_liaison

Hi Stan: Have you inspected the restricted privilege set to make sure that the limitedID field is accessible and not too restricted to be read? You may need to edit the privilege set's Records: Custom Privileges to ensure that field's access level is set to at least View Only. If you want the restricted privilege set to allow changing the value of the field, then you'll need to ensure the field's privileges are set to Modifiable. HTH.

Best,

Dave

• 2. Re: Xpost Account/privilege set oddity
            StanMillar

Dave

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately(?) the field's access is set to View Only. It should be visible to the restricted privilege but all I get is blank fields for that table - no <Access Denied> or anything - just blank, so these users cannot even see the fields in the table. Very confusing.

Stan

• 3. Re: Xpost Account/privilege set oddity
              tech_liaison

Hmmm. Okay, so you say "the rights are set or removed by another routine," would that other routine be trying to do this when logged in with the restricted, view-only privileges? Is the other routine a script? And if so, is it enabled to execute with Full Access privileges?

• 4. Re: Xpost Account/privilege set oddity
                StanMillar

Dave

The other routine is run by users with write access to the field. Yes, it is a script enabled to run with Full Access privileges.

At this testing stage, I have set the IDs myself with Full Access privileges. I also checked the contents of the field so I know the data are there.

I did find a difference in the data that had been set (there was more text in the field than I had intended), and corrected the limited privileges to allow for that. The field contains "Collections_100001" and I was doing a test on just "100001". Now I am extracting the full "Collections_100001" in the formula to ascertain the privileges (confirmed in the Data Viewer). No difference to the result, however.

Stan

• 5. Re: Xpost Account/privilege set oddity
                  StanMillar

Further update:

I set the filter for the access privs to be the same value on both sides of the equation: $access = $access and still no change.

If anything was going to show me the data, this should have. No joy.

The only way I can get data to display from the related table is to remove the field access restriction copmpletely.

One other thing of note: I am able to view the contents of a global text field on the layout from the data table, so the layout knows the table and data exist, just not visible.

Stan

• 6. Re: Xpost Account/privilege set oddity
                    tech_liaison

Yeah, this is really weird. Have you tried to reproduce the problem in a new database; one created specifically to reproduce the problem? It would be really helpful if you had something you can post so I can see the problem in action.

On Dec 19, 2011, at 5:36 AM, stanmillar posted:

One other thing of note: I am able to view the contents of a global text field on the layout from the data table, so the layout knows the table and data exist, just not visible.

Best,

Dave

• 7. Re: Xpost Account/privilege set oddity
                      StanMillar

Dave

Solved!!!

I finally traced the problem to a part of the validation that I had discarded a year ago but which was interfering with the current validation.

That also should have worked but didn't then and still doesn't but that's another story. Lyndsay Howarth and I spent over a month trying to solve that little piece of joy and Lyndsay eventually came up with an "outside the square" answer. This as supposed to have been removed but I aparently only bypassed it by not using that validation at all.

Sometime when neither of us has anything better to do, I'll raise that for discussion (LOL).

Sorry for the confusion and I really do appreciate your help and patience.

Stan

• 8. Re: Xpost Account/privilege set oddity
                        tech_liaison

NP. Glad that you found the problem!

On Dec 19, 2011, at 11:56 AM, stanmillar posted:

Sorry for the confusion and I really do appreciate your help and patience.

Best,

Dave

• 9. Re: Xpost Account/privilege set oddity
                          LyndsayHowarth

Hi Stan,

When are either of us going to have nothing better to do? Living in this part of the world there is always something better to do...

LOL

- Lyndsay

• 10. Re: Xpost Account/privilege set oddity
                            StanMillar

Hi Lyndsay

Just figured out how to do this "following" thing on the list.

Living in Oz - especially SEQ or NENSW - best part of the world. I'm off to GC for a week after Christmas.

Best of the season to you and Tom.

Stan.