I gotta ask...
What do you mean by "FMP keeps changing the name of the database table" ?
I've never know FMP to change a table name without developer intervention. If someone is changing schema names, that could certainly confuse Custom Web Publishing where such things may be hard-coded into the web code.
And I have to ask: What "web interface"? are you using IWP, or CWP in some format?
Also, you might test the database for corruption (run a DDR will often show "missing" or other errors you didn't think were there).
Are you using something other than the API or IWP to attach? Perhaps an ODBC or JDBC connection, and maybe the IP address is changing - the database isn't hosted on a fixed IP server?
Thanks for taking the time to answer. It is time for me to make a
full disclosure: I only learned FMP in a hands-on mode (I am an
architect) so I am not a developer, and I am therefore a bit at sea
on how to interpret your answer. There was another colleague who
developed the original FMP database, with me providing the structured
search mechanism. He is no longer available (and he had also
learned it in an ad-hoc way). Another colleague, Adrian Rossi, has a
PhD in IT and he developed the web interface for the FMP 6 system,
again about 6 years ago. He had little knowledge of FMP and still
does not, since he works with larger SQL database systems. At the
time, the system worked well and we had it on a server in my office,
but we have now taken it off because of the problems. According to
Adrian, the middle tier ran a J2EE application server that connects
to FMP through a JDBC driver and executes SQL against it. The SQL has
been updated for themost recently supported syntax of FMP10.
The database contained 9 files on various aspects of sustainable
buildings, with a common start file that provides the entry point for
the other files. Some of the search parameters were common to all
files, but each had some custom search terms. In deciding to make
the upgrade, we are focusing on one file (the "Documents" file). We
have, I think, managed to upgrade this file to the FMP 10 format.
But when Adrian has recently tried to update the links to the web
interface, he runs into the problem I originally mentioned, that no
connection is made and that the name of the database within FMP seems
to have changed its name (it seems to create temporary copies of
database files and changes the name of the primary database table so
that the SQL breaks, being unable to find the correct table). He
cannot go further and believes it is because of corruption in the
file, and that we need an FMP expert to provide advice. Perhaps the
problem is also partly due to the fact that the other 8 files have
not been updated.
Clearly, we need to have some paid work done, but hopefully fairly
short-term, since our organisation is a very low-budget NGO, staffed
by volunteers. Do you do this kind of work, and what are your terms?
I could send all the files via FTP if you are available and if we
agree on terms.
Many thanks again
Nils LARSSON, FRAIC
International Initiative for a Sustainable Built Environment ( iiSBE)
40 Driveway, Suite 1803
Ottawa, K2P 2C9, Canada
Tel: 1 613 232 1600
Mobile: 1 613 296 1454
Fax: 1 613 232 7018
> created by
><https://fmdev.filemaker.com/people/StephenHuston>Stephen Huston in
>General - <https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/65157#65157>View the
>I gotta ask...
>What do you mean by "FMP keeps changing the name of the database table" ?
>I've never know FMP to change a table name without developer
>intervention. If someone is changing schema names, that could
>certainly confuse Custom Web Publishing where such things may be
>hard-coded into the web code.
>Reply to this message by replying to this email -or-
><https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/65157#65157>go to the message
>on FileMaker Technical Network
>Start a new discussion in General by
>your email preferences.
>FileMaker Developer Conference 2012 * Miami, Florida * July 16-18 *
If it was FMP 6, there's a real chance that the web interface is CDML or Lasso or possibly just IWP (instant web publishing).
Converting the files from x5 databases (ie v5, 5.5, 6) to x7 databases (ie v7, 8, 8.5, 9, 10, 11) automatically will change the name of the databases... by changing the extension from .fp5 to .fp7.
All files in the solution need to be updated... or they won't talk to each other.
Check that you have all the necessary drivers configured for ODBC / JDBC. Check that the functions are turned on inside the FileMaker Privilege Sets and that the Server has them turned on.
Another other major change relates to the fact that x7 documents can have multiple tables.... whereas they used to have just one. This means the document and the table name needs to be referred to in your calls...
Check that (on a mac) your Java settings are compatible... There have been many updates to the OS Java drivers since that time.