3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2011 2:40 PM by CarstenLevin

Accessing a Hosted Database through a Cellular Data Network

lodgical

Hi,

Please forgive me if this question has been answered elsewhere.

If i am connected via Wifi to my network i can access the Databases hosted on my FM Server no problem. It was so easy it's amazing!!

If i turn wifi off and try to access my server via my Cellular Network it is obviously a different story. I appreciate that the IP address used when on Wifi is an internal address and i probably need to point to an external ip address for the server etc..

Is there any documentation that outlines what needs to be done to allow Cellular access? Questions like does IIS need to be enabled on the server, do any ports need to be opened or port forwarding set etc?

Any help would greatly appreciated.

I have looked for this info but haven't been able to find any docs or help.

Cheers

• 1. Re: Accessing a Hosted Database through a Cellular Data Network
          lodgical

Okay, after some more digging i found somethign useful and just in case anyone else reads this post and has the same question... check out the thread below:

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/64389#64389

• 2. Re: Accessing a Hosted Database through a Cellular Data Network

Hi Lodgical,

Thanks for the link to the thread you provided. Like you, I was looking for that solution.

Kind Regards,

Mario

• 3. Re: Accessing a Hosted Database through a Cellular Data Network
              CarstenLevin

From the other thread about the same issue

It is not very complicated. If you just want to access FileMaker Server from outside you need to do two things (assuming that your network has at least 1 fixed IP number). Both should be done via the admin console to your FireWall:

• Route you external ip number xxx.xxx.xxx to your internal IP number (the internal number probably looks like 192.168.X.X or 10.10.X.X or close to that).
              • Open port 5300 to that number.

Thats about it.

You can make life easier by making a dns a-record to your external IP number like fx: fmpro.domainname.com

If you want to do more with your FileMaker you need this information:

PurposePortComments
              FileMaker Pro to Server5300The only one needed if you just want to get access to FileMaker
              Administration Console and Admin Page16000 & 16001To administrate the FileMaker Server through the FireWall (consider not permitting this)
              WPE Engine in a two/three machine deployment5003 & 16000If there is a firewall between the DB Server and the WPE, then you need to have those ports open between them.

You may need other ports as well for more advanced setups. Have a look at fmsolutionspro , if you are ot handling your FireWall yourself you can use this diagramme to show and explain to your FW responsible (hope it is OK for fmsolutions to show it here):