1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2012 11:36 AM by davewightman

Upgrading to Lion?

psijmons

For the first time in my 25 yr Mac experience, I skipped installing a new OS when it was released and gave Lion a miss.

One reason was that developer machines are becoming too critical to blindly upgrade, but it was primarily because I didn't want some of the major changes imposed on the user before fixes or applets were published to make it more adaptable.

However, the way things work I know it will be inevitable sooner or later and e.g. a new machine will bring in Lion, proper syncing with iPhone will require Lion eventually etc.

I have 2 macMini servers running OSX Lion Server (smoothly, I must say) but those machines are left alone most of the time and are a poor comparison for day-to-day use.

I would be curious to read any positive / negative experiences from other developers currently working on OSX Lion as their standard machine.

Peter

• 1. Re: Upgrading to Lion?

Peter,

I did NOT upgrade from Snow Leopard since I would lose the ability to build (and execute) ppc applications with Xcode.

Winfried

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Upgrading to Lion?
            arthursc

I'm not a heavy developer, but I can vouch for stability in lion.

The annoyances are;

Natural scrolling - so un-natural!!!

The built in "timemachine" snapshots it does. This will consume disk space like a plague of locusts. I disabled mine.

Full screen mode is very useful and launch pad is great. And iCloud is even better.

I did a superduper backup. Then downloaded Lion and prior to launching the install created a USB image so I could do vanilla install if I wished.

I then did the inline upgrade and everything was stable, and has been since August.....Now i am tempting fate!

Regards

Colin

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Upgrading to Lion?
              davewightman

I have a vexing problem with Lion and FMP 10 Advanced. Under Snow Leopard I could access, and run FMP files located on another machine in a remote location. Now using Lion I can still access the other machine and see the file but I cannot open and run the file as I get a "You don't have sufficient permissions" error. I can open and use other files on the remote machine (Excel, Word etc.) but not any FMP file. The Get Info shows that Everyone has Read and Write permission so I don't know why I can't open these files.  Nothing I do in the Get Info permissions list will take as I don't have sufficient permission! If I reboot into Snow Leopard everything works fine. I'd appreciate help!

Dave

• 4. Re: Upgrading to Lion?
                arthursc

Dave,

Can you verifiy that you have execute permissions on that file. Do this from a console window. ls-l on the file should give you the details.

Regards

Colin

• 5. Re: Upgrading to Lion?
                  davewightman

I'm afraid I can't verify that Colin. I'm not yet comfortable messing around in the Console. But I can tell you that on my home machine the Get Info window in Snow Leopard shows only one permission line and that's "everyone Read & Write."  But in Lion the file now shows three permissions, "(unknown) Read & Write; staff No Access and everyone Read & Write" I can't change any of these as I immediately get an alert that I don't have the necessary permission. If I go physically to the office machine and check permissions there I see the same single line - everyone Read & Write. So I'm wondering why I can't read and write from my home location. The office machine is still running Snow Leopard.

• 6. Re: Upgrading to Lion?
                    arthursc

HI Dave,

Ok lets back track here. System A has Dave as a user. This User has a unique id assigned to him. Any files, folder he creates he owns and has FULL access to. Dave also create an account on System B. BUT the UUID (unique Id) assigned to his accound is different from System A. So just because the names are the same the security level isn't.

I assume you do not have root/administrator access/rights on the remote machine? From the local machine can you create a folder on the remote machine? If so open FM and create a new file there as a test and then close and open it. If this works then you maybe able to copy the file you want access to to that folder and test that you can open it. If this is the case then the administrator of the remote machine needs to ensure that users from other devices are able to access those files. Alternatively, copy the file to the public folder on the remote machine and see if that works.

Hope that is clear and if some use.

I have just tested this on my Lion Mac and from my MBPro I can access files etc.

Regards

Colin

• 7. Re: Upgrading to Lion?
                      davewightman

Thanks Colin,

I have administrator rights on both machines and when I access the remote machine (office) I do so with an admin username and password. But when I upgraded to Lion on the local machine (home) I ended up with a different short username (home folder) but the same long username (my full name)

So I'm now thinking that when I try to open the FMP file on the remote machine it's not seeing an FMP account name it recognizes. (It's only the FMP files that won't open.) But if that's the case and I try to open it holding the Option key down it won't even let me get to the stage of asking me for an FMP account and password. I think I'll try a couple of other things and see if I can solve it. Thanks for helping - just talking about it helps!

Dave

• 8. Re: Upgrading to Lion?
                        Malcolm

On 10/02/2012, at 6:02 AM, davewightman:

I'm afraid I can't verify that Colin. I'm not willing to mess around in the Console. But I can tell you that the Get Info window in Snow Leopard shows only one permission line and that's "everyone Read & Write."  But in Lion the file now shows three permissions, "(unknown) Read & Write; staff No Access and everyone Read & Write" I can't change any of these as I immediately get an alert that I don't have the necessary permission. If I go physically to the remote machine and check permissions I see the same everyone Read & Write. So I'm wondering why I can't read and write from the remote location. The remote machine is still running Leopard.

The system doesn't recognise the owner - machine amnesia. I suggest that you duplicate the file. Zip the original with appropriate comments and start to use the duplicate. It should be duplicated with the correct permissions for the current user, which will mean that it recognises you.

Malcolm

• 9. Re: Upgrading to Lion?
                          lhoong

If you don't want to drop into Terminal to fix the permissions, the free BatChmod utility will allow you to do the same thing. The latest version is Lion compatible:

http://www.lagentesoft.com/batchmod/index.html

HTH.

Lee.

=================

Binary Assist

220 Gaines Oak Way

Suwanee, GA 30024

Voice: (678) 313-5604

Internet: lhoong@binaryassist.com

FileMaker Certified Developer

• 10. Re: Upgrading to Lion?
                            davewightman

Colin

Your question: From the local machine can you create a folder on the remote machine? If so open FM and create a new file there as a test and then close and open it.

Answer: Yes I can create a new folder on the remote machine. But if I open a new FMP file and try to save it in that folder I get an error saying the file can't be created on this disk etc. I can create a new file on the local machine and copy it into the newly created folder on the remote machine. But it will not open because  "filename.fp7" could not be opened.  (Permission Denied) or sometimes "can't be found" The odd thing is that I can create any other kind of file in that new folder and open it fine.

Your next suggestion: Alternatively, copy the file to the public folder on the remote machine and see if that works.

Answer - No it doesn't. It still cannot be opened. But I found that I could create a new FMP file in the shared folder and then open it. If I tried to change the filename I could no longer open it.

This is all very frustrating and a real show-stopper for me as I need to be able to perform maintenance on those files from my local machine at home. I can go back to Snow Leopard I suppose but I would probably lose iCloud and other goodies. I just installed the update to make it Lion 10.7.3 and naively hoped it would fix everything but it didn't.

Dave

• 11. Re: Upgrading to Lion?
                              MicheleOlson

Dave,

This experience is a little off FM topic, but seems similar. One of my clients experienced something similar with Excel files located in a shared folder on a remote server when a new iMac with Lion was added to the mix. Before Lion, any and all could add, edit, etc. files in the shared location. After the addition of the Lion iMac, if the Lion operator opened an Excel file, the file became Read Only for them and for everyone else.

As Malcolm suggested, we did try the duplicate and this seemed to work for some of the files, some of the time. Could not pin down the issue. Again this was Excel files, not FM and no other program files had the problem.

In the end, we moved the files to a Dropbox location, as that does not seem to be affected by the same privilege settings that Lion is.

Michele

• 12. Re: Upgrading to Lion?
                                MicheleOlson

Back to Peter's original question: I have not moved to Lion but will in the next several weeks. My sense is it would be simpler to add a Mini with Lion than bother with the time required for the upgrade on a year old Mini and the time needed to sort through the apps that work and those that don't.

Faulty thinking on my part? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Michele

• 13. Re: Upgrading to Lion?
                                  psijmons

Hello Michele,

The mini's I have running Lion Server are doing fine, but they are dedicated machines, running FMServer only.

It's on my day-to-day laptop (using dozens of programs) that I am hesitant, but also realize that sooner or later, it will be an inevitable step. Mountain Lion is already announced for later this year. Laptops with touchscreens will not be far away.

When I have a gap in my work I will take the plunge.

Peter

• 14. Re: Upgrading to Lion?
                                    davewightman

Thanks Michelle,

I am still working on using the Shared User folder on the remote Mac to house the file I want to access. So far no joy but I'm still hopeful. The Dropbox idea is a good one. Do you mean the Dropbox app or the Drop Box folder in the Public folder on the Mac?

Dave

1 2 Previous Next