1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 27, 2011 6:37 PM by RayCologon

Lookup Field Issue ( currency or summary field )

ian.moree

Hello Everyone again;

i have a summary field of extended price and

in my payments i am attempting to perform a calculation within only the payments table.

However in trying to use only the payments table and selecting the totalInvoie summary to lookup , i only

get an empty set.

So i am using the long LINEITEMS::total ---> Payments::amountPaid

What i would like to do is use Payments::total ( lookup field ) --> Payments::amountPaid.

Can this lookup work with a summary ?

thnaks

-ian

• 1. Re: Lookup Field Issue ( currency or summary field )
          RayCologon

ian.moree wrote:

Hello Everyone again;

i have a summary field of extended price and

in my payments i am attempting to perform a calculation within only the payments table.

However in trying to use only the payments table and selecting the totalInvoie summary to lookup , i only

get an empty set.

So i am using the long LINEITEMS::total ---> Payments::amountPaid

What i would like to do is use Payments::total ( lookup field ) --> Payments::amountPaid.

Can this lookup work with a summary ?

thnaks

-ian

Hi Ian,

I'm afraid there are various things about your question that aren't clear.

Lookups are specifically for related data - they don't work on data from the same table occurrence. Moreover you seem to be describing looking up the value of a summary field, which is unlikely to be the best way to accomplish a line items total.

Assuming I'm correct in understanding what you're trying to do, it's likely that a better way to accomplish what you require would be using an aggregate function such as Sum( ) within an auto-enter calculation - or possibly in an unstored calculation field. To do that, you'd need to specify a calculation formula that encloses the related item value field within the Sum( ) function.

If that doesn't give you the required result, perhaps you could provide some additional information about what it is you're trying to accomplish.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------