6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2012 5:05 AM by jimb01

How to apply changes from development to Production Runtime environment

jimb01

I will be installing a runtime app on a macbook for our local food pantry. I expect to be making upgrades to it as I improve my skills and as the business needs change.

We clearly cannot reasonably stop production during my development efforts, so I need to come up with a workable plan to migrate the current data from the runtime (production) macbook to my macbook pro where I do my development/revisions.

If you can give me some tips or pointers to documents that you think might help me, I'd appreciate it.

I'm developing with FM 11 Pro Advanced

Thanks,

Jim

• 1. Re: How to apply changes from development to Production Runtime environment
          Stephen Huston

Hi Jim,

Several things to consider here.

First, if they are using a Runtime, be sure you do your changes on a bound copy of the file(s) so you can simply relpace them without having to rebind.

Second, be sure that the target copies (those you are updating) of the files each have a script and layout for the tables which will need to import data from the earlier files. Each import script should go to one layout which uses the target table as the base TO for that layout, and performs and import based on matching field names. (You don't want to change field names unless absolutely necessary because that will require manually resetting imports.)

I then write write one master import inscript which calls each of the subscripts to eprform a system-wide import. The new/target files should have only global records if any, otherwise be clean like clones for the imports.

I have had systems with this type of multi-table system-wide import working in shops where nobody has a clue how to do an import on their own, and all has worked fine for years.

Stephen Huston

• 2. Re: How to apply changes from development to Production Runtime environment
            jimb01

Hi, and thanks for the quick response Stephen.

This seems to be clear to me. If I understand correctly,

I should use my new development version,

Empty the new version's files (except Globals),

Write scripts to import the current production files from a complete layout, [Calculated fields could be tricky, especially keys to relationships]

Write master script to perform the scripts

re create a runtime.

Thank you again!  Have a great New Year!

Jim

• 3. Re: How to apply changes from development to Production Runtime environment
              BruceRobertson

You missed the line titled "First".  No, you do not need to recreate the runtime. You just replace the old files with the new files.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to apply changes from development to Production Runtime environment
                jimb01

Within the Script to Import Records from the current production source FM11 file, I'm having trouble figuring out how to specify the source table.

I can use a path to specify the FM "file" but see no way to specify the table, resulting in the "default" table being selected as source, regardless of the "Layout" context table of the target.

Is this scriptable? or do I need to have the user select the correct source table?

Thank you,

Jim

• 5. Re: How to apply changes from development to Production Runtime environment
                  RayCologon

jimb01 wrote:

Within the Script to Import Records from the current production source FM11 file, I'm having trouble figuring out how to specify the source table.

I can use a path to specify the FM "file" but see no way to specify the table, resulting in the "default" table being selected as source, regardless of the "Layout" context table of the target.

Is this scriptable? or do I need to have the user select the correct source table?

Hi Jim,

Yes, it's fully scriptable.

Once you've supplied the path to the source file for the import (using the "Specify data source" control at the bottom of the Edit Script window when the Import Records[ ] step is selected), you will then see a drop-down menu of tables in the source file at the top left of the Import Field Mapping dialog (which appears when you use the "Specify import order" control, also at the bottom of the Edit Script window when the Import Records[ ] step is selected).

Here's an example of what you should see:

ImportFieldMapping.png

If you aren't seeing the drop-down of source tables at the top left the Import Field Mapping dialog, as shown above, then that means FileMaker has been unable to resolve the path to the source file. That can occur if you are using a variable as the path (and the variable is not instantiated while you're creating or editing the script) - in which case you may have to temporarily supply an explicit path in order to be able to configure the appropriate import map.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How to apply changes from development to Production Runtime environment
                    jimb01

Hi Ray,

Fabulous! 

This was JUST what I needed. My importing scripts are working great now.

Many thanks,

Jim Buckner

Old developer - new to Filemaker.