5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2011 10:30 AM by photoadjuster

Concurrent user with static pages

photoadjuster

After using FM Pro version 5 to serve up a few static web pages, for a long, long time, I now must upgrade to Windows 7 and FMP 11. In looking at the trial version of 11, I notice that to serve up static pages you add the iwp_home.html page to the web folder so that the IWP database selection page does not display to the user.

The question is :

What becomes of the five concurrent users limit when only serving up static pages?

Since the user is not connected to a FmPro database, but only receives a page from FMPro, is each page counted as one of the five, and if so, for what time frame. The older versions limited you to 10 unique users per day, base on IP addresses. What is the limit when serving up static pages using FmPro standard as a web server?

Regards,

Mike Stephenson

• 1. Re: Concurrent user with static pages
          jormond

The key is concurrent users.  Each time a users gains access to the files, a web session is created.  The session ends when either the users clicks the Log Out button, or the session is timed out.  I guess there is one more, the file is shut down...which disconnects everyone.

Once a session is closed or timed out, that user count is freed back up to be used by another user.  You can have up to 5 concurrent web sessions open.  You can set the amount of time that a web session can stay connected (and inactive) before they are disconnected and the session closed.

FileMaker IWP Guide

• 2. Re: Concurrent user with static pages
            photoadjuster

Joshua, thanks for the reply.  I am struggling to understand.

Since there are no database (files) being published, the users never gains access to a file, so is a web session created?  From my limited testing with the iwp_home.html file in the web folder, Filemaker just listens for a page request, and upon receiving a request, FM forwards that page.  Is there a connection when this happens?.  Even with no databases open, only the FM application running,  FM will serve up a requested page.

Mike

• 3. Re: Concurrent user with static pages
              jormond

I may have misunderstood what you meant by static pages.  Exactly what is the user seeing?

• 4. Re: Concurrent user with static pages
                RayCologon

photoadjuster wrote:

Joshua, thanks for the reply.  I am struggling to understand.

Since there are no database (files) being published, the users never gains access to a file, so is a web session created?  From my limited testing with the iwp_home.html file in the web folder, Filemaker just listens for a page request, and upon receiving a request, FM forwards that page.  Is there a connection when this happens?.  Even with no databases open, only the FM application running,  FM will serve up a requested page.

Mike

Hi Mike,

If the pages are truly static html, then accessing them will not count as a session and won't be affected by the concurrent users limit.

That would be consistent with your comment that users can access the pages even if there are no FileMaker databases open. It's not clear from your posts how the pages are generated, but as long as no IWP connections to databases are involved, you should not have to worry about the concurrent user session limit.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------

• 5. Re: Concurrent user with static pages
                  photoadjuster

<< It's not clear from your posts how the pages are generated>>

Ray, the pages are .html pages that I created (years ago) and store inside the Filemakers Web folder.  I have been able to get fm11 to serve them up by simply changing the opening page file name from index.htm to iwp_home.html. But, unlike Fm5.5,  things have changed with Fm11 and I have been unable to get the site to completely work. What I am working on now is to get Fm11 to post back, the contact info that a customer filled out on a form, into a FM database file that is open.  Maybe a little background would help.

I am an insurance adjuster and I travel the states and the world handling claims for commercial property damage.  I spent most of this year in New Zealand working the massive damage from several earthquakes.  I have been doing this for 25 years.  I started using Filemaker back when the Claris Solution Alliance existed. (I am old).  When digital photography arrived, I created a neat Fm 5.5 bound solution called Photoadjuster.  I lease it to other adjusters by the year.

My web site has always been served up using a copy of Filemaker 5.5 on a Windows XP unit here in my office.  All has been good until I was forced to go to Windows 7.  I have been able to keep Fm 5.5 running for brief periods of time on Windows 7, but not 100%.  As I wrote above, I am gone the majority of the time so it is mandatory that my Fm server stay up. Here is how it works:

Customer goes to www.photoadjuster.com  Fm serves up the opening page.

After filling out a form, they download the full version, limited to 14 days, of the Fm 5.5 runtime solution.  When installed on a computer than has never had a previous copy installed, it unlocks itself for 14 days.  At the end of that time no new records can be created.  If it is copied to another computer it automatically expires.

This customer info, when summited from the form, is posted back to a Fm5.5 file, on my Fm server, so I have a record of every download. (Have not got this working with Fm 11.)

Since the FM 5.5 Web Companion was limited duty, the runtime files are served up by another offsite hosting site.  Everything other than serving up the runtime is handled by Fm here in my office.

If the customer wants to lease the program, they return to the web site and enter their credit card info. This info is forwarded securely to the credit card processer.  If the card is approved, the info is passed thought their server back to another FM file on my server, which then forwards a page back to the customer with an unlock code for another 12 months.

This has been running on auto-pilot for many, many years.  All I have to do is look at my bank account to know how it is doing.

The problem is I remember next to nothing about how I created all of this web stuff.  It was done with the generous help of other developers within the Claris solution alliance which became the Filemaker Solution Alliance. The pages were created with Claris Home Page. (how old is that?)

I have another way of servicing my customers while the site is down, but I do need to get it up soon.

Below is the form action that was used with Fm5.5.  What changes need to be made for Fm11?

</FONT><FORM ACTION=

"FMpro" METHOD="POST">
                  <P><INPUT TYPE=
                  "hidden" NAME="-db" VALUE="downloads.fp7">
                  <INPUT TYPE=
                  "hidden" NAME="-format" VALUE="down_1.htm">
                  <INPUT TYPE=
                  "hidden" NAME="-error" VALUE="error.htm">
                  <INPUT TYPE=
                  "hidden" NAME="-lay" VALUE="Online">
                  <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=
                  "Action_PA"

VALUE=downloaded></P>

If anyone is interested, I would be glad to hire an consultant.

Regards,

Mike Stephenson

Lubbock, TX