1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2011 10:11 PM by Kesavan

Importing PDF Files

Kesavan

What is the most efficient way to import a folder of PDF files (Folder action works well for pictures but not for PDF files).

Thanks for any practical solution(s).

Kesavan

• 1. Re: Importing PDF Files
          SEG-IT-Support

Hi Kesavan,

What exactly are you trying to do? Create a new record for each pdf or link the pdf's to specific records?

As far as I know, you can do it using the import records function and choose pictures or movie. This will however import the pdfs as a movie with the little quicktime bar in the container field.

Another easy way would be to use scriptmaster from 360 Works (it's free). This allows you to choose a folder, to get a list of the files that are in that folder and then you can just loop through all the values of the list, create a new record for each value  and insert them in a container using their names.

Hope this will help you.

Thomas

• 2. Re: Importing PDF Files
            LyndsayHowarth

By "not for PDF files" do you mean that it is not displaying the pdf in the field or do you mean that it doesn't import a file at all?

When you import a PDF as a Picture... FileMaker will display the first page only on the Mac as it uses QuickTime. In windows, you generally have to double-click the field to open the file in a PDF Browser.

When you import as a file... it should show you the PDF icon in both OS.

HTH

- Lyndsay

• 3. Re: Importing PDF Files
              taylorsharpe

If you want to import a whole folder of PDFs, each into a new record in FileMaker, you'll need a plugin like the free 360Works' ScriptMaster plugin.  It has an external function ("ListAllFileInDirectory") to pull a list of all of the contents of a folder into a variable.  You then run a loop that goes through each file in the variable and puts it into a new record and container field in your FileMaker database.  The loop can also test each file to make sure the suffix is ".pdf" to make sure you are only importing PDFs.  And you should decide whether you want to import the whole file or just a reference.  I hope that helps. 

• 4. Re: Importing PDF Files
                ariley

It all depends on what you're trying to achieve.

If you just want the files to show up as files you can use SuperContainer from 360 Works and import all those PDFs into the SC server and show them in FileMake related to records, or you can use DocuBin.

Or if you want the PDFs to be recognized you can scan them using a Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner (the one that works with FileMaker) or DocuBin will get the text out, too, so you an search it.

You can learn more about document management here: http://www.zerobluetech.com/document-management-in-filemaker-supercontainer-and-docubin/

Regards,

Agnes Riley

FileMaker 10 and 11 Certified Developer

http://www.zerobluetech.com

C 917 660-7221

T 201-293-5828

Member, FileMaker Business Alliance

Member, FileMaker Technical Network

• 5. Re: Importing PDF Files
                  Kesavan

Thank you, Thomas;

I am trying to import a number of files, and in the process, trying to create a new record with each PDF file. These PDF files have been renamed with the name of a person (First_name&" "&Last_Name&"ITE2011.pdf"). ITE is a test and I am trying to send my trainees their test data and a number of other fies related to it.

I imported these files as Pictures. However, they appear in the container fields as an entry, not as pictures or PDF files. I was hoping to avoid using Plug-ins. Thanks.

Kesavan

• 6. Re: Importing PDF Files
                    Kesavan

Dear Lyndsay:

I think that was an old question. Somehow it got mixed up with mymost recent question. Thanks, anyhow.

Kesavan

• 7. Re: Importing PDF Files
                      Kesavan

Thanks, Ms. Riley. It does help. However, I was trying to avoid using Plug-ins. [Keeping it affordable.] I might have to, I suppose.

Kesavan

• 8. Re: Importing PDF Files
                        Kesavan

I just figured out an answer. Let me thank Thomas Staehli and Dave Simerly for their suggestions.

I used the attached script [see below]

First I created 2 container fields. Into the first, I imported all the files as pictures. They did not import as pictures, instead as just filenames. The import created as many records as there were PDFs.

I used these file names as Variables, The source of the file was the original folder. One may select any file in the folder as source and replace the filename with the variable.

The script would look for the identical names in the  folder specified nd import them into Container 2.

And it worked. No particular format or  identical nomenclature seemed necessary,  because, as long as the filenames match, the script will import them. This offes the possibility one might not need plugins or any specific nomenclatures for files or developan external function with listing of files.

I don't know how this would work in Windows. I have a Mac with Snow Leopard.

Thanks, everyone.

Kesavan

• 9. Re: Importing PDF Files
                          Kesavan

Here's the script:

Script for PDF Import.jpg

• 10. Re: Importing PDF Files
                            taylorsharpe

I know you don't want to use Plugins and I try to avoid them where I can.  But don't completely dismiss them.  And if the only reason you are not wanting to do Plugins is the cost, the 360 Works' ScriptMaster plugin is free.  So at least this solution has no end user cost.  There are other commercial plugins that do what I'll show you here, but this is a solution that only uses a free plugin. 

You'll note that my script takes into account several other things like whether you want PDFs in a specific folder or you want to include PDFs in sub folders too.  I added comments to help. 

PDF_Imports.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Importing PDF Files
                              Kesavan

Regrets. I accidentally copied an earlier script that didn't work. This is the correct script.

It works.

Kesavan

Script for PDF Import.jpg

• 12. Re: Importing PDF Files
                                taylorsharpe

You'll note I also set up the script assuming this is a Mac.  It uses Insert Picture "imagemac" which will make PDFs be imported with a preview instead of just an icon in the container field, which is nice. 

• 13. Re: Importing PDF Files
                                  ariley

Mr. Kesavan,

I used to shy away from plug-ins mostly because there used to be a problem with some plug-ins, some made the DB unstable, etc. I, however, have been successfully using several plug-ins for years, with no issues. SuperContainer is a useful and reliable plug-in.

Aside from all this, FileMaker is not the best storage place for files, it is great for data, but data is small, while files tend to be larger, and eventually can slow your solution down. Also, SuperContainer can store the images on a different computer, always accessible, even through the web if needed, and it can be secured.

I am not affiliated with 360 Works or their products.

Regards,

Agnes Riley

FileMaker 10 and 11 Certified Developer

http://www.zerobluetech.com

C 917 660-7221

T 201-293-5828

Member, FileMaker Business Alliance

Member, FileMaker Technical Network

• 14. Re: Importing PDF Files
                                    taylorsharpe

As always, I think of more things after posting.  I added Windows support on this one and explained the prompts. 

PDF_Imports.jpg

1 2 Previous Next