7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2012 7:49 AM by Claw'd

Container Fields

gawendt

I am trying to get a Quicktime file saved in a container file and have that movie be stored in the database so it can be played back in the field. I tried inserting a Qucktime movie which plays in the database but the database stores a reference to the file as I can remove the flashdrive it is on and the movie is not found by the database. Inserting as any other file type does not playback. Is there a way to get FileMaker to store the complete movie in the database so it will playback when I take the database out on my laptop. I would not like to maintain several locations for the files just to get them to playback on several machines. Thanks for your help.

Greg Wendt

• 1. Re: Container Fields
          paulspafford

Hey Greg,

I've attached screenshots of a couple scripts that may work for you.

I have two container fields in this file. One that holds the QT movie, inserted as a file, and one that the opening script puts the QT movie into, inserted as a QT.

Paul

Screen shot 2011-12-30 at 10.56.10 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-12-30 at 10.56.24 PM.png

• 2. Re: Container Fields
            gawendt

Thanks for the help but I am still confused.  Could you walk me through your example?  Thanks!!

Greg

• 3. Re: Container Fields
              paulspafford

Hey Greg,

My example has two container fields: holdingContainer and playbackContainer.

I've manually done an Insert File of the movie into holdingContainer. The file just always sits in that container and does nothing. playbackContainer is sitting empty.

My onOpen script does an Export Field Contents to the user's Temporary folder. This leaves a copy of the movie sitting in the temporary folder.

Then the script does an Insert QuickTime into the playbackContainer, inserting the QT file that is sitting in the temporary folder. So the playback field is now pointing to a valid movie file on the user's computer.

The onClose script empties the playbackContainer. I guess we don't really need to do that, but it feels tidier to me: We're putting things away after we use them.

If this is something you will be doing in a multi-user environment, you would probably want to make playbackContainer be a global container field.

I hope that helps.

Paul

--

Paul Spafford

FileMaker Database Superhero,

Spafford Data Solutions

Tel: 613 838 9956

www.paulspafford.com

www.ottawafilemakerdeveloper.com

www.fmlayoutmode.com

www.fmscripts.com

FileMaker User Group in Ottawa:

www.meetup.com/fudgeo

On Dec 31, 2011, at 12:12 PM, gawendt said

Thanks for the help but I am still confused.  Could you walk me through your example?  Thanks!!

Greg

• 4. Re: Container Fields
                Aileen

Wishing everyone a very Happy and Healthy and prosperous New Year!

Aileen

• 5. Re: Container Fields
                  CarstenLevin

Hi Paul,

Your method will obviously work. But if the database is containing a large number of QuickTime movies, then my objection will be that it is not very realistic.

Lets say that you are storing just 10 pcs of 50 MB QuickTime movies. This would be 500 MB to be copied out to the local disk drive by the OpenScript. Now lets say that you database stores 100 movies ...

You also mention the use of your solution in a server environment. Copying lets say 500 MB across the local network every time the OpenScript is executed will cause havoc to a site with more than a few users. And it will delay startup for the users, put a heavy strain on the I/O of the server etc. etc.

The solution you describe will work, but it should only be used with a very limited number of small QuickTime movies - and probably only in a single user envirionment.

My suggestion: If you want to use a model like the one described by Paul you should not do it when opening the file, but on demand. When a "Play" button is pressed the file should be exported from the Container Field and then inserted as Quicktime into the (Display)Container Field.

This will cause a short delay in a local FileMaker solution and a little longer delay on a remote solution. But if you find this delay to long, then imagine having to wait 10, 100 or 1000 times as long when opening the FileMaker Solution.

Other possible solutions:

• Single User setop on a local FileMaker database: Put your movies on you local drive in a folder placed together with your FileMaker file and never move/rename this folder. And just do it the FileMaker way.
                  • Multi User setup with a Server: Use a fileserver to store the movie files and do it by reference. Make sure that the server is mounted and that you handle Mac/Windows paths etc. etc.
                  • Also have a look at SuperContainer from 360works if you want to set this up.

Best regards

Carsten

• 6. Re: Container Fields
                    paulspafford

Hey Carsten,

You're right of course. I had read Greg's initial post to mean that he had just one movie he was wanting to do this with. Upon re-reading, that may not be so.

If there are multiple movies to be dealt with, then your suggestions are definitely the more practical approaches.

Paul

--

Paul Spafford

FileMaker Database Superhero,

Spafford Data Solutions

Tel: 613 838 9956

www.paulspafford.com

www.ottawafilemakerdeveloper.com

www.fmlayoutmode.com

www.fmscripts.com

FileMaker User Group in Ottawa:

www.meetup.com/fudgeo

• 7. Re: Container Fields
                      Claw'd

Hi Greg

filemaker has this to say about inserting or importing video files into containers.

If you’re importing a folder of picture files, you can use the Import only a reference to each picture file option to indicate whether to import only a reference to each file, or import a copy of each file directly into the database.

Important:  Because movie files are usually large, they are always imported by reference. If you’re importing large picture files, consider importing only a reference to each file. However, if you import files by reference and later move, rename, or delete a source file, FileMaker Pro won’t be able to display it. Also, consider importing both the smaller thumbnail and the image files into separate container fields. Designing some layouts to display the thumbnails instead of the full-size images may help increase the scrolling speed if you need to display many images in a list.

This from the Help file on QuickTime and Containers.

As carsten says you are stuck unless you try a plugin like 360's supercontainer or NewMillenium's Sound manager. do a search on Filemaker, video and container fields.

Patrick

1 of 1 people found this helpful