5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2012 6:12 AM by PSI

Custom fm port - srv dns record

lavendt

Hi all

I have a couple of fm servers, which should be accessibly from the internet.

I am only able to get 1 public ip address......

As they use port 5003 I have to do some port mapping in my router such as:

123.123.123.123:14000 -> 192.168.1.5:5003

123.123.123.123:15000 -> 192.168.1.6:5003

This works well, but I wanted to point a domain name to each server.... E.g. fm1.example.com

However, normal A records just point to the ip address and takes no interest in ports.

I've found that it should be possibly to create an srv record that point to a specific port. I have tried, but can not get it to work....

In a srv record, you need the service name, which I think should be fmpro-internal. I am just not sure that FM checks the srv record...

So:

Do you know whether FM checks for srv record info ?

Do you have any good ideas to other ways to do this ?

• 1. Re: Custom fm port - srv dns record
          taylorsharpe

Ahhhh, so you have one IP and you want to have FileMaker clients access multiple FileMaker servers using different ports on the same IP to be re-routed to different machines in the LAN.  I can see why you want to do this, but your big problem is that the FileMaker client outside the LAN cannot be pointed to any ports other than 5003 for data and 5353 for host discovery.  I'm sure with some proxy configurations, you could work it out, but you'll put way more time into it than doing it the right way by getting is server its own public IP and having each domain point to each server IP.  Also, do you really need to run multiple FileMaker Servers?  Can you put all of the files on a single FileMaker Server?  If that is the case, the answer is get one FileMaker server and put all of your files on it and then you don't need it to point to two different IPs.  If you are trying to point it to two different FileMaker clients, you are probably just trying to save money by not getting a server.  While I understand, getting cheap and doing lots of workarounds has its costs in inconveniences.  If you get a FileMaker server, then you'll have the added benefits that your service is always on and always available, can serve more people, can be servered securely, and have automtatic backups of live databases.  In short, I don't think you can easily do what you are trying to do.  But I bet a single FileMaker Server will do the job well for you. 

• 2. Re: Custom fm port - srv dns record
            robwoof

One possible reason for two servers might be that one has separate Development and Production environments. I had this situation for a while, with two servers on one external IP.

Using the external IP with separate as you describe, is to create a connect file that has a script to connect to each file a user would want to start with. In Manage->External Data Sources, you can add the port number after the IP address or domain name. You can sve multiple data sources in one connect file, with a script/button for each one.

So the files on Server 1 would have the reference

fmnet:your.domain.name:14000/<fileName>

and the files on Server 2 would have the reference

fmnet:your.domain.name:15000/<fileName>

Also, you can save "favourite hosts" on client machines with the port number as well.

I hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

Rob

• 3. Re: Custom fm port - srv dns record
              taylorsharpe

Rob... most interesting.  I didn't know you could select different ports in the Favorite Hosts.  I learned something.  Thanks. 

• 4. Re: Custom fm port - srv dns record
                lavendt

Thanks for your replies.

First, there are several reasons that I have more than one server, so it is not a discussion. (several versions of FMS and FMSA etc.)

I know about the fact that you could define the address with the port and that you could create a good old link file. That is what I do today.

However, my question was about if anyone know a way to map a domain name to an IP AND port.

Both for FMS but also multiply servers, e.g. web, mail, ftp.....

I know that the best thing would be to get more IP adresses, however, due to my ISP's network setup, it would require for me to get another seperat fiber, which would have a monthly cost that is 5,25 times higher than today. Just to get the IP adresses.... That is why I am looking for ways around this....

• 5. Re: Custom fm port - srv dns record
                  PSI

IT sounds like your best solution is to have WAN users connect via a VPN client. It is more secure and you don't have to worry about port assignments. Most firewalls have VPN software. If the remote site is a static location you can setup a point to point VPN between 2 firewalls. The latter is an always on vpn connection.

John Morina

Pueblo System, Inc

CCQ-FM, Inc.

lavendt wrote:

Hi all

I have a couple of fm servers, which should be accessibly from the internet.

I am only able to get 1 public ip address......

As they use port 5003 I have to do some port mapping in my router such as:

123.123.123.123:14000  -> 192.168.1.5:5003

123.123.123.123:15000  -> 192.168.1.6:5003

This works well, but I wanted to point a domain name to each server.... E.g. fm1.example.com

However, normal A records just point to the ip address and takes no interest in ports.

I've found that it should be possibly to create an srv record that point to a specific port. I have tried, but can not get it to work....

In a srv record, you need the service name, which I think should be fmpro-internal. I am just not sure that FM checks the srv record...

So:

Do you know whether FM checks for srv record info ?

Do you have any good ideas to other ways to do this ?