3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2012 1:16 PM by paulspafford

Database Template

ByteTheBullet

So I'm finally getting around to creating a serious template to use for new FileMaker projects, and was wondering what other devs commonly stick in theirs. I'm already going to have an empty database with commonly used fields, a few common layouts (most of my work is in-house, and I try to keep some consistency between solutions), a few common scripts (login, logout, etc.), typical local accounts, and a custom function to get "user friendly" descriptions of any error codes that are ecountered.

What other items do you have in a FileMaker solution template?

• 1. Re: Database Template
          psijmons

hello Byte,

I use the standard set to identify a record, two fields are used for display (see attachments).

The picture on the top here uses a webviewer which makes it portable across all tables and layouts, just copy / paste.

I picked up the webviewer code some time ago on this forum but I don't know who from (but I'm grateful to the author), the webviewer code is:

webviewer.records ( "Record [current] of [found]" ; "*{ font-size: 7pt; font-family: \"Lucida Grande\", Tahoma, sans-serif; color: White; } #text{ margin-top: 0px ; } body { background-color: Silver; } " ; "DimGrey" )

/*

For a list of possible colors by name use this url

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_colors

Use the following in the css parameter to control font size, face and color

*{ font-size: 9pt; font-family: \"Lucida Grande\", Tahoma, sans-serif; color: black; }

Use the following to control the positioning of the text

#text {margin-top: 10px; }

Set the color to "transparent" to not show the bar

Use the following to control the background

body { background-color: green; }

*/

Screen shot 2012-01-03 at 21.45.35.jpg

Screen shot 2012-01-03 at 21.45.28.jpg

Screen shot 2012-01-03 at 21.44.09.jpg

• 2. Re: Database Template
            jbante

I like to use name-value pairs for passing script parameters and results, so I always include these custom functions for building and parsing parameters when starting a new file.

• 3. Re: Database Template
              paulspafford

Hey BTB,

I have a suite of scripts and CFs, as well as a single template table to copy and paste my standard date, and timestamp, etc. fields. I have a few other tables set up: Global, DevPref, ClientPref, User. Then I have a barebones layout for the form view of users, and another one for the list view of users. All of this includes the startup and variable routines, as well as the scripts for managing the user accounts and privileges.

All the scripts that I have are as standardized as possible -- taking care of the repetitive stuff for me -- so that I don't have to make too many adjustments to them as I develop.

I think the important thing is what NOT to include in your template: A bunch of layouts. The interface that the user sees can be very individual from one project to the next (or at least it should be). There's nothing worse than having to tear a bunch of stuff apart before you build it back up.

I keep saying that I should build a good calendar template in there, because it seems everyone wants one of those as well. Maybe that's next.

The most important thing is to always keep a copy of your template file handy, and do some version control on it. Whenever I'm working on a project, I will often think of something that I should add to the template file. That's the best time to do it.

Paul

--

Paul Spafford

FileMaker Database Superhero,

Spafford Data Solutions

Tel: 613 838 9956

www.paulspafford.com

www.ottawafilemakerdeveloper.com

www.fmlayoutmode.com

www.fmscripts.com

FileMaker User Group in Ottawa:

www.meetup.com/fudgeo