MeatBeefHamburger
      MeatBeefMeat Sauce
      MeatBeefMeat Loaf
      MeatChickenNuggets
      MeatChicken

Fried Chicken

VegetablePotatoFrench Fries
      VegetablePotatoMashed Potatos

On a layout I have a three portals. The first one lists the food categories. When I select a category, say meat, the second portal should just show one of each food type for that category. So if meat is selected then the second portal should just show: Beef and Chicken. As it is, it is showing Beef, Beef, Beef, Chicken and Chicken since I have five records with category = meat.

What do I need to do so that in the second portal only Beef and Chicken appear?

Thanks,

Will

• 1. Re: How to develop a multi-portal pick list
          PSI

Will,

Portal's don't behave that way. Another approach would be to use 2 global fields with value lists. One for the category value list. The other would be a filtered list for type. Then a portal to display the meal.

John Morina

sent from my windows 7 phone

• 2. Re: How to develop a multi-portal pick list
            WBullard

Hi John,

Thanks for your response. I know how to do this with value lists in conjunction with pull downs or some non-portal interface, but I'm 99% sure it can be done some way using portals and I want a portals only interface. It might require using virtual lists is what I'm wondering.

Thanks again,

- Will

• 3. Re: How to develop a multi-portal pick list
              ITPC.JosephA

Presuming the records that appear in the second portal has a foreign key to link to a Category of the first portal then you can setup a button in the first portal that when a Category is selected the primary id of that record is stored in a Global. Then create a relationship using the global on the left side of the relationship to the foreign key to the type:

Example:

TABLE: CATEGORY

kp_category     name

4                    Meat

5                    Vegetable

TABLE: TYPE

kp_type          name         kf_category

12                  Beef          4

13                  Chicken     4

14                  Broccoli     5

15                  Carrot        5

So when you click on "Meat" that has ID 4 then only "Beef", "Chicken" will appear in the second portal.

--

Joseph Arzate, CEO  |  itpc.JosephA@gmail.com

I.T. Professional Consultants  |  www.itprofessionalconsultants.net

Office: (213) 53 PRO IT <-> (213) 537-7648 |  PO Box 911163 • Los Angeles, CA 90091

"Providing professional information technology business solutions in the form of software development, computer services, and I.T. Consulting."

• 4. Re: How to develop a multi-portal pick list
                WBullard

Hi Joseph,

You are correct that would work, and I guess I'll go ahead and do it that way. I was hoping to have it all in one table for simplicity, but I guess it makes more sense to break it down. Fair enough.

Thanks,

Will

• 5. Re: How to develop a multi-portal pick list
                  ITPC.JosephA

HI Will,

Technically you can do this with one table but it adds another level of complexity. You will need to create a field that can "Categorize" the record as either "Category", "Item", "Meal" and then use that new field as part of your relationship or use the "filter portal" feature in FM11 to limit the records. This can be faster at first but can end up costing you more work later on since the data is not normalized.

--

Joseph Arzate, CEO  |  itpc.JosephA@gmail.com

I.T. Professional Consultants  |  www.itprofessionalconsultants.net

Office: (213) 53 PRO IT <-> (213) 537-7648 |  PO Box 911163 • Los Angeles, CA 90091

"Providing professional information technology business solutions in the form of software development, computer services, and I.T. Consulting."

• 6. Re: How to develop a multi-portal pick list
                    ajhooton

I’ve had this requirement ever since Rev 5 and found that the Rev 11 portal solution described works very well.

My project was to provide an easy way to review detail information about any vehicle manufactured in the US since 1896.

The user will first enter the year of interest.

The first portal will then display all vehicle manufacturers in business in that year.

The user then selects a portal ‘button’ on the line of the desired manufacturer.

The second portal will then display all the models available from that manufacturer for that particular year.

The user then selects a portal ‘button’ on the desired model.

The third portal will then display all the styles available from the manufacturer for that particular model

The user then selects a portal ‘button’ on the desired style.

The user can then review detail information related to the Year – Make – Model – Style selected. There is detail information describing engines, interiors, exteriors, brochures, production and misc information.

As you might imagine, it’s a lot of work maintaining all the links properly, but from the users perspective it’s a seamless, easy to use reference process.

It’s a fairly simple logical solution, it simply takes some time to implement. I’m in the process of verifying that it works in FM GO as well.